Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cannabilism !!!!!!! :-(

K

karen

I woke up this morning to find three quarters of one of my baby axies inside the other one with just his head and front legs sticking out.

I have no idea how he even managed it - there is only a cm in size between them.

I managed to get him to spit the other guy out - but he died as soon as he was free :-(

I was upset at leg biting - but I feel differently about them since i saw this :-(

D

daniel

Aw. i cant immagine how upsetting that must be. sorry to hear that.
sad.gif

J

jinny

sad.gif

This is why I spent money on dividers and isolation chambers. They're very capable of injuring or killing each other until about they're about 3 inches (7.5 cm) long (and even at that size I was paranoid).

K

karen

The big one was 4 inches and the slightly smaller one was just under :-(

K

karen

I'm still really mad at the big guy ! The smaller one was half digested :-(. It was really horrible he just gave 2 gasps then died :-(

A

anna

Yikes, I have around 40 babies at the moment and and have noticed one is missing his leg, and two others are missing their feet.

If I am to divide them, I'm guessing I divide them based on their size? To divide them so axi has a space each will probably be impossible.

K

karen

Yes you need to divide them by size - these guys regularly chewed off each others legs and ironically I was just thinking the night before that I should seperate them again - I was 12 hours too late !

T

trisha

LOL - I know it's not funny but that is why nature makes them produce so many babies - it's survival of the fittest! - one of our babies was caught with just the tiniest tip of a tail sticking out of his mouth - we chased him with a net and he spat the whole thing out alive!!! You have to keep them Extremely regularly fed or you will lose bits or whole babies!!! a very expensive time consuming job but very rewarding!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1