Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few silly questions ...

J

jaffa

I was wondering about the following:

Is lamb heart a decent substitute for beef/ox heart?

How do you know when your Axie is actually asleep and not just squatting motionless?

Whats the collective noun for Axolotl?

Nothing urgent in there - i was just curious
happy.gif

A

amber

1) Pass. I don't feed mine offal. Let's face it - what's the chance of a 'lotti eating cow in the wild?

2) You don't! :D They're pretty lazy. I find Spyyk's gills go a little pale, and she likes to sit in her tunnel when she goes to sleep.
She used to sleep up the side of her foodbowl, but there's many times she's scared bells out of me by suddenly snapping at my finger when I thought she was asleep.

3) Axolotl. Some people use Axolotls, but I don't think that's right. It's an Aztec word, and they didn't use S an awful lot!
happy.gif
Like Sheep.

Hope that helps!

J

joan

Lamb heart is fine. Just trim away fatty bits. Almost any meat is pretty good for them, as long as it's not too greasy or fatty.

If you poke them, and they freak out, they were sleeping. At least this has been my experience.

I call mine a 'herd' or a 'weird' of axolotls. I don't know if there is an 'official'.

J

jaffa

Thanks for the replies
happy.gif

As i said earlier it was merely curiosity. I see Ambers point about the word Axolotl being Aztec. Although a 'weird' of Axies sounds oddly suitable ...

A

amber

*laughs* I like that one.
I might have to nab that.

How are the new guys doing?

J

jaffa

The new ones are doing fine thanks Amber, still in quarantine. The 2 wilds are what i would call 'typical' axies but the golden one seems very reclusive (not lethargic i may add as he/she is active when it thinks its alone) and wont eat from the hand or from the bottom. It snaps at food as it sinks past it. So as you can imagine theres a bit of wastage. As for the Axie waste - they're doing their duty daily and seem to have expelled any and all gravel thankfully!

happy.gif

A

amber

That's wonderful to hear!
Best of luck with them, and as I say, if you do want a hand, give me a shout.
Keep us updated!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1