Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do you transport your axies?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello!
At first, excuse me for my poor english,I'm french. I have to transport my axies (2) soon for a 7hours long travel by car...have you some ideas to do these without too many stress? Thanks.

S

sharn

get some round cornered fish bags, put one inside the other (double bag), fill 1/3 with water and 2/3 air put in a axie (not two to a bag!) and tie up the bag (i twist it then double it over and use two rubber bands to tie it). get a poly box and fill it with newspaper and put the bags in there, lid on and away you go! the poly box insulates them so they dont get too hot of cold.
it would be good to open the bags after a few hours if possible and let some fresh air if you can.

its not hard at all to move fish, ive shipped them over night to places 9 hours away and they get there fine

michael

Reaction score
I think I'd put an ice pack in wrapped in newspaper. Axies like it cold. If they warm much it will be a big problem. They normally don't have problems with being to cold.

michael

Reaction score
Thanks for all these answers. This forum is certainly the best about axies!

C

carl

I've found the best thing to transport my Axys in is a large bucket with a lid. I have travelled upto 10 hours with my guys in the car. I put a towl down on the floor to reduce vibration, half fill the bucket and put my guys in. Put lid on and drive.

I stop every 2 hours and remove lid for 5-10 mins and they love it.

I have then kept the guys in same bucket in the shower at various hotels without any dramas. Just change the water every other day.

(Message approved by jennewt)

D

donna

Hi, I use the double bagging method but I put them in an esky! (Might just be an Aussie thing) With an iceblock to keep them cool. The bags stop them from roling around too much.

(Message approved by ed)

C

callum

Im going on vacation for the christmas holidays (to visit my relatives on the isle of mann and then go skiing in France) and im leaving my axie with my friend's dad because he has fish of his own (big fish) and im a bit worried about not tying the bag correcty so i think i will go with the container idea. Don't worry about him not looking after the axie ok cause i wrote a list with a link to this website.

N

natashja

i usually have to drive a fair distance to pick up axies or fan tails so i use a small plastic aquarium placede in a cooling bag with a few cool packs to keep the temp down ( ooh yes i put the aquarium in the fridge the day before if i know ill be bringing home a baby.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1