Axie like to walk around under the spray bar?

M

morrissey

Hello!
I just change a 24" tank for my olive, with black sand as the basement. But I notice that she's walk around under the spray bar for the whole morning, in the gap between the live plants & glass, I'm wondering is it normal to do that, she just non stop walking from left to right, then right to left, left to right...repeatly!
There's a cave for her as well...I'm confused!

Thanks Luke!
But today's another strange thing, My olive's spending the whole day laying next to the cave or hiding inside her cave. She always like to climb on it rather than hide inside.
Is it possible since she's too full and doesn't need to come out and hunt? Since I remember that there was at least 5 shrimp in the tank last night, and I only could find 2 today!
I'm getting a little worry!
sad.gif

Is she lying on her side or just standing on her feet but not moving much? Have you tested your water (in case ammonia/nitrites have sneaked up!) Other point is as they get older/grow bigger they don't zip around as much as when younger.

Axolotl are nosy animals in general - Spyyk spent the best part of three hours exploring a stone I put in once.

Check the perameters just to be on the safe side.

Thanks! But I'm just worry, when I turned off the night last night, she finally came out from her cave, and laying down at another side of the tank, until this morning I saw her at the same area and too lazy to move.
I tried to feed her pellet, she bite it at first and then pour it out. I doubt that she ate a big shrimp last night, as I couldn't find that in the tank again.
I just confused since she's so active before and suddenly being so lazy since yesterday.

I wouldn't worry too much about strange behaviour from axie's....

Just look at them, what do you expect? He he he

Unless your axie looks to be in distress, the odd moment here and there is to be expected, I freak out all the time because my axie's behaviour and habits is and are so unusual.

Just so long as your water is fine and there is nothing stressing your axie.....

Live and let live.........

Regards Eastern_axle

I agree with Luke. Our axies don't like too much direct light; we try to keep ours to minimal (lights out or on dimmed down and/or covering their tanks so they can roam about at night when the lights are on).

Thanks! And I'm happy to let you know that Olive becomes active again since last night. However, when I tried to feed her with pellet, she first bite it and tasted a bit and then pour it out... and it finally success after I tried few more times. I doubt that she's not interested in pellet as much as before since I fed her shrimp. She seems love to catch the live shrimp now rather than "dead-food" pellet!

Olive was probably not hungry due to eating shrimp. They are bigger then pellets

Thanks for answering me!
When I back home last night, I found that Olive's very naughty, she made all the plants moved out from the sand bed and push all the sand from 2 sides to the middle of the tank, I don't know how did she make it, but it looks funny as well...lol

lol my Shifter has a little plastic shipwreck to hide in but he pushes it from where ever it is to his food bowl. Out of all the things he has in his tank the boat is all he moves. When its feeding time however he throws the boat out. lol

biggrin.gif
my axies have four waterfillede ping pong balls to play with, and they actualy play with them, pushing them around betwene each other, like children
bowl.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back