Colour Changes.

C

chris

As a present I was given 2 small axies,
they were both bright yellow, now after a few months they have changed to a dark brown speckled and a light brown speckled.
I realized that they would change colour as they grew but didn't think it would be this much. My question is, Is this the norm?
Thanking you in advance.
Chris.

I havn't heard of this happening but how yellow was it. Golden albino yellow or just a bright yellow

Yes that's possible. May be a variation of wildtype. Our wildtype babies were olive and speckles (one had slightly more yellow than other with dark stripe down its back). Now they're 12months old and one is very dark brown on top and bottom half of body and underneath he's grey. The female is almost black apart from dark brown face and pale grey underneath.

Luke,
Just bright yellow, not golden albino.

Kapo,
Thank you for that, I was just surprised at how much their colour changed.

Cheers,
Chris.

I've noticed the majority of wildtypes on sale or owned/bred in NZ are darker wildtypes, similar to ours. I didn't realise there were light coloured variations of wildtype until I saw some of the pics from Aussie owners posted in the gallery here.

Kapo and Luke,
Thank you for your replies.
I really don't mind what colour they are now.
I just couldn't believe how much they changed.
I think they are cute any colour.
Cheers,
Chris.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back