Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird creature mixed in with shop bought daphnia ?

K

karen

Hi Guys

Just wondered what this was as it's happened twice now.

They are about 1cm long and are clear white long things (worm shaped but obviously much smaller). The head though is brown with 2 horn shaped bits sticking out in an upwards direction from it's head).

They move very quickly in any direction by moving their body.

They are weird !!!

I have found them in 2 batches of daphnia now.

Can anyone tell by the VERY rough drawing what they might be ?

68833.jpg

K

karen

Sorry but this is as much detail as I can give without a microscope lol - ps sorry about the drawing quality :)

They are really weird things though - I think I have seen them in batches before - but slower moving and not with brown heads - this one looks REALLY creepy !

I

ian

Your time at art school was'nt a total waste of time then Karen.If its not a space invader climbing a ladder then i would say its a mosquito larvae , they tend to swim in a criss cross sort of motion and spend a lot of time hanging from the surface of the water. quite harmless i use them as food regularly

K

karen

urrghhh !!! I would prefer that it was a space invader climbing a ladder !!! But yes it looks evil so that sounds about right - it's head is scarey !

This guy swims straight from what I have seen ...maybe he's just "special" :)

A

alyssa

maybe catch it in a jar and take it to the pet shop? they might be able to shed some light on what the lil guy is!

I

ian

Karen...do'es he curl up then open up when he swims sort of like a figure of eight movement,although when a mozzies ready to hatch he just crawls around the bottom for a while so you could be about to become the proud owner of a fully fledged mosquito. Keep a rolled up newspaper handy.

S

sarah

mozzie lave is great for the axie babies.
they dont die and foul the water.
and they are small enough for them too.

K

karen

ohhh yuck

if that's what it is it's gonna die as soon as it's out ! Shame it doesnt drown on the way up !!

Anyways my face and legs still hurt - gonna go chill for a bit ..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!