Best PH

S

stewart

Whats the best PH for axies cause mine is currently 5 and if its to acidic how do i make it less acidic

Try limestone or crushed coral to increase the pH. Add crushed coral to the filter, or near the filter, by putting it in a stocking to prevent it from being ingested.

How old is your tank?

I would say that 5 is too acidic. Try the things Joan mentioned. Also be aware that test kits can be inaccurate. You may want to try a different test kit, or take some water to a pet store for testing. Do NOT let the pet shop sell you a quick fix (liquids you add to the tank to change the pH).

stewart, i have major problems with my water, it was very acidic. I tryed everything to lower it and nothing worked. Then i tested the ph from the water comming from the tap and it was neutral. I filled up a container with tap water and added a lil bit of the chlorine neutraliser i use and tested the water and the test came back as acidic. I dont know if its a fault in the product or a fault in the test kit.
I took some tank water to the petshop and the test came back acidic too.

My tank is 3 years old and i have tested it with a expencive type of litmus paper that tells you the exact ph. I cant add it to the fillter as i have a waterfall filter.

if its anything like mine (aqua one HOB) then there is room to fill a stocking with grit and shove in, either inbetween the cartridges or something. what brand is it?

i think the more water movement going thru/past the grit the more effective it is. if this is true you could tie it somewhere on the inlet etc?

It's easy to add crushed coral/limestone to a waterfall filter. Put it in a stocking, loosely, and put it behind the filter pad.

I'm not surprised that a 3 year old tank is acidic, as older tanks tend to be acidic. But have you tried a different brand of dechlorinator to see if that's less acidic?

Thanks for telling me how to put it in. I dont use a declorinater i personaly think that it is a waste of money so i just let the water sit in sunlight for 24h

Most water treatment plants don't use chlorine, they use chloramines. These are NOT dissapated with time. You MUST use a dechlorinator for chloramine removal.

Sydney water uses chlorine not chloramine. And hence my reson for not buying dechlorinator's .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back