Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravel/Bare floor

S

suvanna

Hi. I'm a bit new to axies but i know that gravel isn't good for my axie but I have half gravel half bare for my tank and when at the bare floor he seems to struggle when walking to the other side of the tank.
What should I do? my parents keep telling me to put the gravel back in the tank but I don't want to and I can't get any sand either because well... my parents won't let me and so I don't know what to do.
Anyway this is the size of my gravel.

67678.jpg

67679.jpg

S

sarah

some bits are too small and could be dangerous from what i can see in the pics.
Dont worry i have a bare floor in my tank and they did at first struggle a bit, but they eventualy learn how to get around on the bare floor. mine walk properly now, it took a few weeks but they learnt. plus all the poop is easy to pick up now and feeding them, cos if they drop something they can spot it straight away.
I dont even run a filter, i do a 10% water change every sat morning, and they r fine.

J

joan

Suvanna, have your parents seen this forum? They may feel a little differently if they know that the gravel can kill them.

I keep all my larvae in bare bottoms, until they're about 3 inches long. I used to keep all my tanks as bare bottom tanks. There's no problem in doing it.

S

suvanna

well, I'll try to remove the gravel as soon as possible.
and no they have not seen this forum but I don't think they will so I'm practically the only one looking after my axie and trying to keep it as healthy as possible although my dad does help me change the water.
and I also tell them that the gravel can kill the axie 'cept they don't believe me and they are always saying that it will know how to spit the gravel out. So there is no use in convincing them I'll probably have to do it myself.

M

mary

hi there, i replaced my pebbles with some much larger stones.they still have things to walk on and the tank floor doesn't look totally bare.

kapo

Reaction score
Suvanna, it might pay to try and get your parents to read this forum, esp. in the interests of your axie. Very hard for some people to understand; until they start reading/asking questions here or at www.axolotl.org especially if your axie gets sick. Since your parents won't let you get sand, then totally removing your pebbles would be a better option. (Your axie is probably sliding abit as it walks from the gravel to the tank glass, but they do adjust). And, as I've said before axies just don't spit it out, not all of it, it builds up inside can block them, if it doesn't come out the other end! Our older axies have, I hope finally got the gravel out of their systems, last lot I found was a few days ago (they haven't been on gravel since early January - so thats taken over 6months; we put them on sand once we got them, so its easy to spot when they poo them out!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1