Suoernumerary limbs

T

tom

As i said in another thread my axie has a finger growing from her ankle. However over the past few days it has got flatter and wider and now looks like a tiny hand like on a young tadpole. Has this ever happend to anyone or does anyone know about it. Is it going to turn into a double foot
shocked.gif
and will that annoy her at all? P.S sorry the thread is supposed to say suPurnemerary limbs not suornumerary limbs, i'm not a great typer.

(Message edited by axolotom on May 01, 2006)

Regrowth in limbs in amphibians isn't perfect. Sometimes if there is damage, it can cause regrowth without the original limb being severed. Just think of it as another cool anomoly. It makes your axolotl different from all others.

Thanks. luke, i cant post a pic because the camera isnt working and the actual limb is quite small so it probably wouldnt give much detail anyway. Does anyone know whether it will just grow into a second hand or whether an entire new leg will grow out of her ankle?

Since i started this thread it has grown a lot. Now it is a small three fingered hand about half the size of a proper one.

cute! if you get the camera working be sure to post some pics
happy.gif

Tom, my axie has exactly the same thing!! When I got her, she only had 3 and half fingers in one hand, but the half started growing, and ended up like half a hand with 3 little fingers,haha.Don't worry, it doesn't bother her at all, so yours should be fine too.

Could our axies be related, as we are both in London? How old is yours? Wher did you buy him from? Mine is from Wholesale Aquatics in Bethnal Green, and approx 1 year old
lol.gif

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on May 14, 2006)

I got her 4 weeks ago from a pet shop called tropical and marines in Kew. She is a wildtype.
Your right it doesn't seem to bother in fact in away it helps her because there are a few gaps between the river rocks in her tank and the extra foot stops her leg falling down the gap
lol.gif

I have get a picture, sorry if it is slightly blurred, of the funny hand thing. It has got slightly bigger now. I don't know how to put pictures next to the writing but you can see it in this attachment:<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

chiqua pic.doc (20.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Sorry for some reason it does not work. Could anyone tell me how to put pictures directly on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back