How do u know male/female and age?

N

nina

I have two axos, one albino and one wild-type. The person I got them from said the wild-type was probably female and the albino male, but he wasn't sure. I don't know their ages either, but I think they are about the same age. How can you tell? Coloration or gills or size?

Thanks!
-gecko1

it depends how old or big your axies are. 20cm and different coloured toes normally mean maturity and is the stage at which you can get a more sure idea of what sex they are. Mature males develope a swelling near the cloaca (at start of the tail). Females have round bodies when they are full of eggs. There are also other ways to know but its not 100% accurate unless they are in breeding condition which is up of a year old.
hope that helps.....btw- i do not even know what gender my axie is!

i have five axies, two i couldnt tell till they were around 22cm, one around 20cm and sort of changed overnight lol and my youngest albino has decided to show me what sex he is at around 15cm or so. i think joan has one she thought she had sexed right and it turned out to be the opposite lol! it really is a time thing.

my only female is noticable much fatter than my males with a very small cloaca, the males are much thinner with large cloacas. when i look down on my males i can see their swelling as well as looking from the side.

It was around 18 months, and had long since been 20 cm before it decided to tell me it was male. Sometimes they're just slow to bloom.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back