Floating axolotl? Need help!

R

reid

My baby axolotl is about 2 inches long. It floats on the top of the tank and trys to get down to the bottom but cant, it just floats back up. I need information. Thanks.

Hmm. It may have gas bubble desise, though i dont think so, just give us updates.

whats your tank temp and water parameters (ie: ammonia/nitrite/nitrate & ph)? Also, on other hand it might need a poo?

Phoebe, gas bubble disease is rare. It usually only happens in very cold tanks which are superaerated. Floating is more common to infection or constipation.

My tank tempature is ok but i don't know the water parameters. I noticed that it just went down to the bottom of the tank. I guess it just had to poo. But it still spends most of its time floating. I don't think its stressed because its gills are not curled and it still behaves normally and it still eats.

What temperature is 'okay'? You should buy a good quality test kit and test your water. Some axolotls can be stressed without showing signs until it's too late. They're masters at hiding illness.

hi there, one of our young axies couldn't sink for the first few months we had him. i am sure now that he was gulping too much air when gobbling his blood worms coz when i started feeding him "solids" he started sinking- i thought he was doomed to a life at the top of the tank-!! was also advised to not feed him at the top to avoid swallowing too much air. he used to get lumps in his tummy which i think were prob air. he always ate lots but watching him float and tip over was awful!

Maybe if you could support him in the water and gently rub his tummy that might make the air move,it helped when my axie was floating but otherwise unstressed,she farted and was fine,sank to the bottom.Try not to handle too much as it could effect their coating,but it could help if all other perameters are fine.

If it gets too much for him,can the group say whether he's too young for the fridge? In a shallow container so he can put his feet down.This will help him poo if thats the problem,or give time for him to get rid of the air.Remember turn the fridge light off or cover the container.

I lowered the amount of water in our axies nursery before our guy could sink and put things in for him to rest his feet on.

We've put one of ours in the fridge at 3inches, when it needed it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back