Hand feeding?

R

reid

I had my baby axolotl for about 5 weeks now. I cant hand feed it. About what age should you hand feed axolotls? What age do they learn to be hand fed.

It's easier if you don't hand-feed. If you ever go away, you won't have to train someone else how to hand-feed, and it's not as time-consuming if you don't hand feed.

I like handfeeding but our axies are used to being handfed and by skewer (worm/meat on the end and wriggled). Not many people who offer to look after our axies like to handfeed. They have an aversion to putting their hands near or in the tank water or r afraid their fingers will get nibbled. And not all our axies will swim to the top (they generally tend to prop themselves bout half way leaning up against tank window in wait.)

I do both hand-feeding and putting food in front of her in the tank. But as my axie is very greedy,and nearly blind she often bites my fingers when I hand-feed her,ouch,haha.

Luke, for one animal, yes, but when you start getting lots (I have 30+ animals that need to be fed), handfeeding is VERY time consuming.

Very true Joan! We don't have as many animals as you but the no. of axies my husband keeps bringing home keeps us on our toes with feeding and all!

I found a less time consuming method. You could just drop the food in the tank and let it drop to their mouth. Thanks for the suggestions. I will stick with my feeding method.

I hand feed my two axolotls but if i have to go away I leave feeder fish(clean source) in the tank they love them. Leaving food on the bottom is fine, its how they hunt naturally as long as you take out what isn't eaten as it fouls the water if left like pellets do.

when you say hand feed, does that mean you dip your hands into the tank or just dangle the food into the water?. I don't like the thought that my hands might contaminate their water!! as i wash them thru the day and never know if the soap is fully off!

I have a bucket of unchlorinated water that i rinse my hands with,if I have to use chemicals(houseduties) I always use gloves.I'm aware where my hands have been before I feed them and I no longer put perfume on my wrists .They almost beg,if Johnnie Bloke notices me walk by and he's hungry he rears up and gets my attention.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back