Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie photography

K

kate

What is the best way to take photos of your axies? I tried the "flower" option with my digital camera.. but it focuses funny. And my albino, Asher, always looks kinda golden
uhoh.gif

Any tips much appreciated.. I'm obsessively taking photos just in case I get a good one to show around
biggrin.gif

C

charlie

The "flower" option is actually a "macro" setting. Which, if you're getting a close up, is usually the best way to go. Be aware that it can slow down the shutter speed though, so you'll need to steady the camera more.
But other things to consider - the lighting - will the flash ruin the shot? what other tank lighting is there.
I use a little tripod to make sure the camera is steady.
What zoom are you using? would it be better to move the camera closer and zoom less?
There's a lot of trial and error involved in working out what works best with your camera. (what camera is it?) Fortunately, because its digital, you can just keep trying without wasting film!
happy.gif

And a last tip - if you're taking shots of the whole tank, do it in a darkened room with the tank lights on, and no flash.
happy.gif

R

reid

A good option is to take your axolotl outside (in a tank of course) and try taking pictures of it that way. your camera is like my camera and focuses better outside.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1