Ahhh! Weird worm things in tank!! and fluffy plants!

T

teesha

One day i missed a piece of pellet pookie missed and it was obviously decomposing...the water had no ammonia or nothin- it was fine...then i see it one day and theres like these white lines, really thin , less than a mm and about 3-5 mm long. so i sucked it up with my siphon and i thought all was well.....UNTIL!!! i found them stickign to the glass adn plants and then free swimming around the place!!!
i dunno how they got there! i also have cyclops in the tank- who knows how! what are these wormy things and can they hurt my pookie. how do i get rid of them...i use a magnestic scrubber to egt them off the glass but i think they just get swished in the water....
also a weird fluffy stuff....looks like fungi, is growing on all my plants....do i have to pull all the plants out and scrub them? does anyone have this in their tanks???

thanx

nah i know what mosquito larvae are.....these are white....and sort of see through and more worm like, not mosiquito type...like they move differently

Probably similar to glassworms, or gnat larvae. I get them occasionally. Eventually they'll morph into gnats and you'll have a cloud of them, lol.

Planaria aren't seethrough, and are usually not free-floating.

EW!!!!!!
i dont' want gnats or nematodes! scarey worm-thingos!!

they're milky see thru...
does n e one no a web site with pictures??? so i can compare....they dont turn out with my camera.
they look like tiny worms and swim with a gentle s shape like a rope being lifted up adn down, sorta....they glide witht he current too.
i changed 60% of my water to get rid of them, i couldnt see any the next day, but the day after that it was infested again.
theres too many- i dont like them!

i think i had the same thing as you a while back. They were only tiny and only half of their bodies moved off the glass, does that sound like yours? They didnt cause any harm to my axie, I used a blade from a box cutter to scrape them off the glass. I still have some on my glass but nowhere as many as i did. I wouldnt stress too much about them unless you see your axie scratching or looking irritated.
As for the plants, I have had an algae problem, if only some of the leaves are affected, you could probably cut the leaves off, if the whole plant is affected, i guess you could scrub them, i have done this, but it only made the plants look nice for the next few days and then the algae came back.

sounds either like planaria or mosquito larva to me. i have planaria in my tank but it doesnt really bother me that much, i just scrap it of every now and then when it gets unsightly.

The planaria are found on the solid substrates, the free living nematodes can be found on the surfaces in the tank but are often found suspended in the water column of the tank. Gnat larva that are suspended in the water column typically needs to ascend to the surface to breath while the ones that have gills typically are affixed to the sufaces of the tank.
If you are seeing them in any numbers this is the same sort of the problem as with the planaria, it means that the water changes are not keeping up with the dissolved organic material in the water.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back