Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fluffy vs Not So Fluffy

K

kate

Just wondering why.. Java has small gills that aren't hugely fluffy.. in fact they're quite small and sad looking (healthy.. just like a tree in autumn) but Asher and Peyton has big fluffy gills? They're all kept in the same tank.

The only difference between these guys is that Java likes to swim up and "breath" but Ash & Pey don't do it as much. Would this account for Java's smaller gills?

S

sharn

my guess would be because java has less 'surface area' on his gills to absorb oxygen hence needs to go up for air a bit more.

smaller gills can be put down to a few things, genetics and water quality are the main ones
happy.gif

T

teesha

i think its genetics holding him back! Amphibians also breath throught their skin adn a rudementary lung. He'll be right!
i preferr fluffy LONg gills to short sparse ones myself :>

K

kate

I agree Teesha.. I love Asher & Peyton's fluffy gills... and I see Java's wee little ones.. it's quite sad!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!