Axolotl check

C

clay

i have recently found an add at my local deli for some 1 selling der old axolotls i want to buy them but wat should be the things i should check first like health wise

make sure their skin and gills are healthy, no overproducing of slimecoat, no fungus, no external parasites. they shouldnt be over or under weight and should behave normally. if skin colour permits see if they are red.

thats all i can think of for now, hope that helps!

Make sure they aren't missing limbs and have healthy fluffy gills.

check out the housing conditions they are kept in aswell, look for things like if its over crowded, the water looks dirty and if they are kept on gravel. also like what sharn and luke said, look out for missing limbs, parasites and fungus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back