Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melbourne ppl!! Hav u seen leucistic axys?

T

teesha

I've been scouring the land near by and i really want a leucistic (white with black eyes and black freckles) I can't find one anywhere!! Ive asked one shop whether or not they can order one and they called back saying they're supplier doesn't get that colour in....well breed it...very upsetting. So does anyone in the melbourne victoria area know where i can find one???? Or knows of a really good pet shop.....coz the one's around me have given my mum dodgey advice saying axies NEED gravel!!! OH!
angry.gif
....how stoopid! Anyways, any suggestions on where i can find a good pet shop or leucistic axy will be great
talker.gif
thanx

T

teesha

me niether!! I want one!!!! If anyone knows where i can order or get one from, i'd be much appreciated.....or if they know where i can get a d/d axy...then i could breed it with a A/+ d/d axy to get offspring that are luecistic!!!!!
Actually i don't think iv'e ever seen a d/d axy before!!! ( the ones with colour only on the top)

A

alex

over here in nz luecustics and wild types are the most common. its hard to find albinos though.

S

sarah

I was talkin to pets paradise about leucistic's and they did get one is 5 years ago and they sold it for $60
dizzy.gif

They couldnt get anymore since.

T

teesha

wow!!!! I want one!!! i'd pay 60....maybe....yeh i would!
biggrin.gif

Geez thats so unfair.....does anyone know any breeder in melb who could sell me one, or where i can get one shipped in??? Do axys survive the trip usually?? Can u even ship them in???
dizzy.gif

im confused! All i know is i want one
talker.gif

J

jojo

Teesha, ive read a few axie sites/forums in the past. None them as good as this place mind you. Majority of them have FALSE information
sad.gif

Anyhow. Theres a chick that goes by the nick name of "spawn" ( at this site http://www.shyscyberchamber.com/) and she has over 300 axies, being a breeder in Melb Vic. Maybe she can help you. Just know that ive never spoken/emailed/chatted to her or anything, nor do l know the conditions in which she keeps her axies. If you cant find anyone, try giving her a bell and she may be able to help
?

On the other hand make it a point to check every now and then, the "For Sale" section here. Just note though, that you need authorisation from one of the mods to post there.

I hope no one gets offended by me posting an opposition site LOL jkz. And yes, off topic also Just trying to help out
happy.gif

J

joanne

I recently saw baby Leucistics in a pet shop here in Perth for $10 each. Maybe I shoulda bought them all and shipped them to Melbourne - I could have made a tidy profit.

Anyway, it might be worth looking into finding a place that ships them in. I know that a lot of pet shops over here in WA buy theirs across from the eastern states. Perhaps somewhere like Pets Paradise that is franchised all over Australia will be your best bet. They may be able to bring them in from NSW or SA. If they survive from NSW over to WA, down to VIC shouldn't be a problem.

Goodluck
wink.gif

T

teesha

thanx jojo for that site, im loading it now...are you sure its about axys??? its saying its about serial killers and stuff???? ah! gave me a shock!
lol, yeh joanne! shoulda! u'd have a small fortune by now!!!
I haven't asked them yet, but its on my to do list!!!
thanks for the luck and info!!!

J

jojo

LOL Teesha - its site filled with all... lol i havent been thru it, just the aus axie section
happy.gif

I did a wildcard search through google. There is a forum somewhere in there...

here is the actual link leading to the forum:
http://forums.shyscyberchamber.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1380

Depending on where this breeder is located - you should be sweet and shouldnt have to get them shipped over
happy.gif

Glad to be of help!

C

charlie

I'd definitely try Pets Paradise. One of their sydney stores ordered the colours I wanted in for me
happy.gif

T

teesha

lol, i did do some searching on the site, though i was extremely disturbed by some of the contents!!! But i am proud that i managed to find it on my own!!!! Just before u posted that actually, but u had to go off coz it was my sisters shot on the net...Yeah i did see the section, but nothing about selling her axies or anything.
I think pets paradise looks after the axies the best out of any pet shop i've seen, they are also alot pricier!
wink.gif
but i dont mind...i saw this cute one and i was gunna get it, but the price scared me...my mum was gunna buy it for me, so i felt guilty making her spend that much....oh wellz, i still don't have a filter anyways...i was thinking of putting it in my established aquarium adn letting it eat my fish...i don't like em anyways! they keep niping each other, but i don't want the axie to get nipped!!
i'll ask pets paradise next time i see them...

C

charlie

Yeah. I've seen them nearly half the price, but theirs usually look healthy and they do pretty well at looking after them (for a petstore.) Some better than others though.
One is avoiding getting axies in till they have a tank properly set up. Which surprised me. And they listen to concerns when I've raised them.

T

teesha

i went and ordered one is yesterday!!! They basically said they'd try and if possible they'd get me one...
can i ask....ho0w much are ghost shrimp in america??? Coz like i went to order one and they were like 10 bucks!!! and i'm like- im not gunna spend 10 bucks on an axy snak!!! not gunna happen!!!!
theyre called glass shrimp here....

A

alexa

Hey ummm I live in Brisbane and there are a few different places I know of that would probably ship one over to you if you still need it - go to the yellow pages online or something, look up pet shop in Australia, then you should just call around and see... That's what I'd do. Dno bout risks though, so yeah...

R

rhys

Hey Teesha,
Where abouts in Melbourne are you?
I'm totally letting my secret out but there is a breeder who sells nice sized health axies at the market on Sundays. That's where I bought my last one, she's matte black.
And get this... They are $12 bucks each!
And the colours, I have never seen anything like it. There was a deep black one there with gold spots running down its side with the most beautiful gills, I told the guy I would be back for it but when I returned 20 mins later all 4 in the tank where sold.
The next week I returned and found my little Kagero.
So I recommend getting there early and looking around for him.
I think.
Good luck, hope this helps...

(Message edited by Ed on May 26, 2006)

T

teesha

O its a bit far from me Rhys, but thank u so much for trusting me with ur little secret!

o and they never called me to say whether they could get the colour i want......so im guessing they can't!!!

I'll see if my parents would be so loving as to drive me up there! Do u no what the shop is called????

T

teesha

is it called ?? Or is that the market, i'm guessing its in a pet stall yeh?

R

rhys

Hey Teesha.
\. Open Wednesdays and Sundays. Not sure about Wed, but I know he sells them on Sundays.
It's full of heaps of stalls. There are a few pet stalls in the big shed but on guy sells these axies.
Young Indian guy, very nice. As you walk down the entrance into the big shed he is in the left half, normally first few lanes somewhere. This should help.
Good luck

\

T

teesha

thank u so much! Do u know what colours they get? I'm looking for luecistic ones, they are white with black eyes and may have black freckles on the top half....have you seen any there?? What other colours might they have?? Golden albinos?? (the yellow ones with pinky eyes)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1