Travelling With Axies - Should I or shouldn't I?

N

natalie

Hey there,

In a few months time I will be travelling from Perth in Western Australia up to my new place in Broome. It's about 2000kms away and although most of my stuff will be going up by truck, fragile things will be coming with me in the car.

Has anyone ever transported their axies such a long distance? It could take me 2 days to get there by car and I'd hate for them to be sloshing about in the tank the whole way - that would really freak them out.

Thanks for any advice - even if the advice is to find them a home before leaving.

Nat xx

I have moved newts from town to town before, but axies are a diffrent thing alltogether. I would offer the following. Putting them in a good sized cooler with ice blocks floating in it. However, it is a long ways. If most of your driving isn't stopping and going, long streaks of highway travel would be fine. I assume you would stop after day one, so you would re-freeze your ice packs and give the axies a night to rest.The more water they are in the less sloshing they will expierince

maybe put them in poly boxes with snaplock bags full of ice? make sure your containers water proof, i soaked a car once with a fish bin (wasnt mine though luckily lol)

Western Australia is one of the most sparsely populated areas of the world. If you look at a map you'll see that Perth to Broome is very definition of long streaks of highway. I would say we're talking 12 hours of driving? I'm from NSW so I don't know what the roads are like.

I would use a large container placed level in the back of a station wagon, but because the car is moving I wouldn't let free floating ice blocks slosh around. Good air conditioning would be key here. Maybe with some flexible tubing you could pipe the cool air over the water.

I'd suggest a bucket, or other lidded container, inside a cooler. The cooler can be used to hold cold-packs, as needed, and the cooler prevents spills going all over your car. I think they can definately survive the trip, as long as their temperature stays in line. It doesn't have to be a big container to hold them, and they don't need a lot of air - people ship them in plastic bags half water half air.

Broom... it gets pretty hot up there, have you thought about cooling arrangements once you’re up there?

I take a cooler, put ice in the bottom, then a layer of very soft foam, and on top of that a ziplock plastic container (where my axie goes) with more foam it to hold it snug. Then I put another ice pack on top of that to keep him cool (and slow down his metabolism/respiration) and make sure to periodically vent the container during my 8hr drives to and from college. I've transported him several times this way and although it pisses him off some (won't talk to me for a good two days [frown]) it doesn't seem to put him in any real distress. I've never transported him for longer than 8 hrs though, so I don't know if this would work for you, but at least it's a start!

My sister once transported her axie's from Melbourne to Brisbane - she put them in a large eskie and used a black bin liner... so that it was really really dark... and they were fine...

I think it would be ok, I would also travel with some water from your tank just to do a change if it is necessary.

Here is a question, sorry if its slightly unrelated. Can you take axies in the plane with you? I mean up with you where you are sitting??

There are usually very strict laws and rules about animals in public transport. There is the hygiene risk with alot of animals due to the air conditioning so Im pretty sure they have just banned all of them, possibly excluding seeing eye dogs and the like. At least thats how it is in Aust. You would have to ask the airport about it for a definate answer. Im also not sure if the difference in pressure would affect them at all.

(Message edited by a_god on May 09, 2006)

Dont go on dirt roads, trie not to stop sudenly and try no to wherve(unless of coure there are kangaroos or emues in the way)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back