Variation in certian phenotypes

T

teesha

i am amazed by the different types of variation there is in one phenotype. Like golden albino, they can be orangey in colour, yellow or fluro yellow in colour, then you got ur wild types, they can be caramel, black, green, and brown, and grey in colour.
can ppl post theire picks of the weird coloured phenetype.
I have only ever seen in life yellow goldens and black wildtypes. One tinged on the green side though.
I'm very interested. Do u think thye could be heavily pigmented in a certian pigment to turn them a particular shade of their apparent phenotype!?
just wonderin!

Teesha, axolotls have 3 color cells: Iridophores (the shiny color), xanthophores (the yellow), and melanophores (the black/brown). It's different combinations of these, combined with environment and just plain ol' breeding that cause different colors. Some axolotls may be lightly golden, just like some humans are very pale. Some may be very heavily speckled leucistics, while some only have a few spots.

so if it is a caramel colour what is it? a wild type? it has a black iris....
I was just wondering!
I used to know the genetics really well but i'm a tad rusty but that is what i figured! i wish my golden was more... brownish...or orangey...its so....yellow. but i still love her and her gaping mouth!
here's a pic.
64599.jpg

I was just wondering!
I used to know the genetics really well but i'm a tad rusty but that is what i figured! i wish my golden was more... brownish...or orangey...its so....yellow. but i still love her and her gaping mouth!

I was just wondering!

If it has black irises, dark pigment, yellow mottling, and shiny spots, it's a wildtype.

Rephrase: black irises signify a melanoid. These are usually low in yellow coloring, but not necessarily. Melanoids are also lacking any 'shiny' pigments.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back