Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping snails or plecos with axies?

S

steffi

Hey everybody,

I've got massive algal growth in my axolotl tank, both green and brown algae andI'm getting sick of always having to scrub the tank so I can actually see my axies through the glass.

In my other tank I've got some tropical fish with snails and a plecostomus. They do a real good job of keeping the tank algae free.

Would this work in my axie tank as well or would my axies eat the snails or pleco, or would the snails/pleco harm my axies?

Any help would be great,
cheers, Steffi

A

anna

People on here have snails in their axie tanks (me included) so I think you should be pretty safe with them. If the snail is big enough it should escape being eaten by your axie though I know for a fact that they will eat them if they can fit them in their mouths. I have an infestation at the moment of ramshorn snails in my tank which came in on some elodea I bought and my axie hapily eats them when he feels peckish. The pleco might not be such a good idea as mutual nibbling may occur. Try a large apple snail or two.

S

steffi

Cool, I might get some snails then
smile.gif

Thanks for the advice,
Steffi

J

jinny

I personally don't think anything should be housed with axies. Axies will eat the apple snail's antennae.
sad.gif

You're better off trying plants to gobble up the excess nutrients that the algae is feeding off of. Or try reducing the light that the tank gets.

At many pets stores it's $12 US for a large applesnail and only $2-4 US for a bunch of plants.

L

luke

My axie had a go at my apple snail at first , but ever since has left them alone. They have their full antena and parts.

S

s1ren

Are apple snails the ones that can close up a kind of "trap door" in the shell, which can cut off toes and tails of newts and axies?

I read that somewhere here on the forums, but I don't remember what thread I found it in.

J

jinny

Yes, they have operculums, but aren't the only species that do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!