Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How intelligent are axies?

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Is their intelligence comparable to maybe guinea pig? Etc? I can't tell at all how intelligent my lovely Axelina is, as sometimes she seems so very smart and other times totally brainless,haha.

C

charles

I'd say it'd be hard to judge, especially taken into account problems like eyesight etc.

Same problem with working out intelligence of various breeds of dogs - some have "learned" intelligence, others have "natural" intelligence. The difference between an obedient lap dog, and a clever hunting dog really.

C

cake

Charles is correct there. It really depends on the individual too. Some axolotls are trained to swim through a hoop with the sound of a click etc and get a food reward at the end. If they can be trained to respond to hand movement or noise then I would say they were very bright little creatures. Still not much is known about them. Besides as owners of the little sods we are compelled to think they are the brainiest things on earth....well at least I do....
smile3.gif

S

sharn

never heard of that training cake (im fro nz too!!) have you got any links for us to check out? thats pretty cool

C

cake

I don't have an internet link but I have a book that teaches some tricks. Apparently they need to be in a smallish tank and preferably by themselves.....the fact that they are curious and rather brave is a good trait to begin with but again it depends on the individual. Like not all birds will learn to talk. I was training my young axolotl who died just today
sad.gif

I taught him to come to the surface at a click of my finger and he'd get a treat.
happy.gif

I want to know whether they respond better at hand movements or noises.

C

cake

Oh, good to see another Kiwi, which part do you come from? :B

S

sharn

te puke, tauranga. they would respond to hand movement better if they can see it (they have <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> eyesite) a noise (ie in your case the click of a finger) wouldnt create enough vibrations for them to feel... i dont think they 'hear' like we do

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Wow! We can teach them tricks? Aww, they are quite smart then! Sharn, can't they hear? I never knew if they could or not? Errmh, I am just asking cos I talk to mine a lot,hehe.

S

sharn

lol they hear by vibrations... *guilty* i also talk to mine, they even have different voices when i make up conversations between them lol. demetrious has the big daddy gruff voice, lucian has the sweet mummy voice, thanatos has the squeaky little boy voice, and cizin has the angry teenager voice hahaha (can ya guess what size they go in lol)

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hahaha Sharn,that's too funny! Errm, so they hear vibrations? So when I talk to Axelina through the glass, does she think I may be just opening and closing my mouth to breath or so? Strange thought. I was hoping she at least knows her name by now, cos I keep repeating it when I talk to her
happy.gif

Also, about intelligence. She sometimes really seems to be showing of when I am watching her, and clap my hands when she does something cute or funny.Also after I clean the tank, (which she doesn't like)she seems to be sulking at me. She refuses to look me into eyes and keeps turning her back at me. To be able to sulk,one must have a very clear thought pattern and be mega smart. Or am I just imagining this?

C

cake

Everyone hears by vibrations in the air - soundwaves (or water in this case)

I've read that Axolotls have very good hearing.

S

stuart

That explains a lot. I’m a muso and Eric always looks so enthralled whenever I get to work on a new track. He could be swimming around or sound asleep facing the other direction but as soon as I start to play a piano piece or thump something out on my guitar or drums he always comes to the front of the tank and watches very closely. He is obviously just reacting to the various frequencies passing through his aquarium.

C

cake

Yeah I love how they come up to the side of the tank and watch what you're doing.
happy.gif

I imagine, like goldfish, they get headaches if the noises are too loud.

J

joan

Where did you read that axolotls had good hearing? To my understanding, caudates don't have an audible ear structure and 'hear' mostly through vibrations in the environment.

C

cake

I read it in a library book that they have very sensitive hearing. Perhaps the book was wrong and the writer didn't know a thing about axolotls. Never mind that the book said that they have a sensitive lateral line with hair cells comparable with those in the human ear.

R

rory

Well i have a drum kit in my room so when i start to play i hope my Axolotl doesn't skitz out and hurt itself

C

charlotte

hmm you should put it somewhere else...it might be scared by the powerful vibrations (if you play anything like my sister, loud and proud, lol)

generally on axolotl sites they reccomend you putting them in a place where there's not to much foot traffick or noises...

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
This is not exactly to do with their intelligency, or maybe is...am not sure. But I have been crying a lot cos my friend died a week and a half ago. And yes, I have been crying in front of my axie, and talking to her about how sad I am. And the strange thing is, she stops doing whatever she is doing, and comes straight in front of me and keeps looking at me with sad eyes.And she stays looking at me until I stop crying. She does this every time I cry. I have heard cats and dogs etc can understand emotions, but didn't know axies can. It has come to me as a total surprise that she can sense my sadness. Or maybe she is just fascinated by tears??Anyway,her seeming so caring has helped me. And at times when am behaving my normal self, she just comes to look at me quickly to say 'hello', and then continues swimming or whatever she was doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1