New axie, need help!

A

anna

Ok, I just got a
new.gif
axie yesterday. Im pretty sure its a boy as it had a fairly sizeable bulge underneath. He is bout 13 cms long at the mo and he's a gold one. He is fairly thin, only bout 2 cms across the widest part. Im still cycling his tank so he is in a plastic container at the mo with a couple of hiding spots which he doesnt use right now. He also wont eat. I've tried axie pellets as that was wat I had on hand yesterday but I went and dug up some worms today and offered him some. He still isnt interested.
The main reason I got him without having a cycled tank was because Im pretty sure he wouldnt have survived the pet shop much longer. He was in with another axie who was twice his size and as half his gills are shorter than the other half im pretty sure he's been munched on. On top of that, the other axie was in a bad way. It was sitting on the bottom on its side and the fin ridge along its back was all messed up. It kinda looked like thin plastic does when u try to rip it off. Its stretched but still on there and all floppy. He seems to be in pretty good health aside from being severely stressed. The end of his tail is almost bent at a right angle and his gills are usually all pushed forward.
My question is, aside from changing the water every day or two and offering him food and removing waste (all hail the turkey baster), is there ne thing else I should be doing to help him get better? Do I need to give him the occasional salt bath to ward off ne infection he might have picked up at the shop or will improved conditions be enough? There is currently no water flow in his container as it should gain adequate oxygen from regular changes. He is in the spare room (I stole it for my animals) so there is minimal human traffic and im monitoring the water temp. Its around 20C at the mo. The water is soft. Do I need to harden it and what is the easiest way?
I think thats all for now. Sorry for the long post and all the questions, I just dont want to lose my little guy, he is so adorable. Thanx
happy.gif

Ok, he has settled enough to eat and he's almost through a whole worm. I cut it in thirds cause he could eat the whole thing at once. He wont eat in front of me cause I think he is still scared of me. At least he is eating tho. He still looks wound up tho, poor boy.

Sorry, I meant he couldn't eat the whole worm at once. My brain has run off on me I think.

Sounds like he is doing ok with you :D; will be a lot better off with you than at the pet shop. And good that he's eating too. The improved conditions may be enuf, but just keep an eye on him.

good on you, it seems you have been reading alot. Well done!!!

i think your doing great as it is, keep and eye just incase fungus pops up which is when youd want to start the salt baths

Oki, thanx heaps. He has settled quite a bit now, his tail is even starting to straighten up! He's got a pretty big appetite too. I caught him swimming casually around his container last night but as soon as he realized i was watching he stopped, sat on the bottom and stared at me. So glad I got him. Called him Simba after the lion. Will try for photos as soon as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back