Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Healthy axie teeth? LOL

A

annabelle

Just wondering. How would flouride in the tank water affect axies? My local council is considering adding flouride to the water (even if no one actually wants it) and I was wondering if I would have to do anything special to the water if they decide in favour of the flouride?

E

emily

I'm pretty sure Adelaide water has flouride in it, seeing as we have the worst water in probably all of Australia I think your axies would be fine

A

annabelle

Good to know. Im still hoping they dont put it in but at least my axies (when I get them) will be ok if they do.

N

nathan

Fluoride is a chemical so it could be harmful to your axie I would just take the same precautions as chlorine. Did you know that a tube of fluoride toothpaste can kill a two year old and also they band fluoride toothpaste in Holland?

A

anna

I've heard it was toxic to people. My problem is that they dont make defluoridators for aquarium water like they do with dechlorinators so, how do I get the fluoride out if its in there?

A

alex

id say you should just leave the water in a bucket with a airstone over night, dont no if it would work but it might help.

E

edward

There is a significant difference between the amount of flouride in the water supply and an overdose from eating an entire tube of flouridated toothpaste when dealing with human toxicity. Too much is bad, too little doesn't prevent cavities and like many other ions (such as calcium) has a narrow range of safety.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1