Help with sexing

J

james

can anyone giveme a clue as to the sex of my axie from these pics? it is still pretty young so maybe its hard to tell right now. it doesnt really matter i just wanted to know so i can think of a name that fits.
56519.jpg
56520.jpg

id say still too young, you can still see the insides hehe and that normally dissappears when theyre around 10cm or so. wait until he gets around 20cm+ and then itll be easier
happy.gif

56574.jpg
56575.jpg

also his gills have become stubby and whitish maybe bc i put a baby crayfish like less than an inch and with the claws broken off but still maybe he nibbled the gills?

look at this post to see what i am talking about.http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/56568.html?1143638994
i really am worried bc ive always wanted an axie since i first saw them in a book incredible animals A to Z when i was like 6 years old. just dug the book out of storage too. thanks for the help

Well it seems to be a she... As for the fish that you have with your axie , please remove it, I´m totally against putting any kind of fish with axies , cause axies gills are like blood worms to fishes so they nib them. You really don´t need any kind of fish in your tank for cleaning, but if you want to keep it just cause you like it well there are people that have axies with fishes but in my opinion that just wrong.

Yeh, i have the same thinking.
Axies with axies and thats it.
Its not worth the rick of something happening to either animals.

I think ghost shrimp are ok though. Ive read a coulpe of threads re ghost shimp, but dont know much about them, so i cant have an opinion on whether its ok or not.

Your broke the claws off?
They can still nibble on the axies gills though.

Is there anything else wrong with your axie.. or just the gills? No skin peeling?? If not.. id say they've been nibbled.
Do you have any better pics?

from that pic, if it was a adult it would be a male, not fat enough IMO however it doesnt look big enough, it only looks around 10-15cm if that. how big is it? it can be tough to sex axies under 20cm and even then you can get surprises. the head and tail method isnt all that reliable compared to fatness and cloaca.

joao- what do you see that makes you think its a female?

(Message edited by sharn on March 30, 2006)

no it is more like 7.5 cm very small. it was eating really good until this happened. no skin peeling tho.

Sorry Sharn, but what is head and tail method?

James, if he is only 7,5cm (3"), it's not possible to tell the sex yet.

Sherri, I think that Sharn means that heads on females are wider and their tails are shorter where as males have narrow heads and longer tails
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back