Thinking of selling Rosie...

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
Am very sad and embarrassed to say this, but I'm actually thinking of selling Rosie, my new leucistic axie. I mean, she...no, wrong word, I am 99% sure Rosie is a boy, and I don't want him to have babies with Axelina.So I would need to have a tank divider all the time, which is not enough space. Rosie is sweet, gentle axie, but I haven't bonded with him at all.

I have to say I feel really bad for thinking of giving him away for these reasons, and feel like such an idiot for buying an axie of which sex I wasn't sure of. I could kick myself!
But on the other hand, if I'm gonna give him away, maybe it's better to do it now, than after I've had him for longer??

Sorry, I think I'm just looking for some comments/thoughts, what others would do in this situation, and maybe give me some ideas? Thanks in advance

spose it should be done unless you want babys every where i would take it but im quite far away from you+ i need to buy and cycle my tank (hopfully finally getting tomoro)

This is a borderline sale/trade/giveaway post and response. These posts need to be approved by a moderator before posting......... I know this wasn't your real intent as you are looking for alternate suggestions but please keep in mind how the posts are worded.

If you don't want hatchling axolotls, dispose of the eggs when they are laid. If you are concerned about humane disposal, development of nervous function takes a number of days so placing the eggs in a jar of alcohol with humanely euthanize the eggs (even vodka will work).

Ed

Also, I've had a male and female axolotl for 4 years without any mating

same here, 3 males and a female for 2 years and nothing. just cause you have both sexs doesnt mean they will breed! dont get rid of him, there is no need, just cull the eggs if ever they have any.

got my tank
happy.gif

seems pretty cool added some stuff to make it safe and in a few weeks ill have an axie
happy.gif

Thanx for your replies! And Edward, sorry, didn't mean it as a sale ad! I just wouldn't be able to cull the eggs, I would feel like an abortionist/killer, so that's why I'm so panicky about if there is even the slightest chance of eggs. I will get a friend with a digital camera to take photos of Rosie, and will post them in the Gallery,to get your expert opinions on Rosie's gender
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back