Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aussie pet store care sheet

C

cynthia

http://pkpets.com.au/files/Info%20Sheet%2012%20-%20Axolotl.pdf

I found that file while I was surfing today. If you scroll to the last page of the document it has a picture of an axolotl with a bent tail... I wonder if they even noticed?

It doesn't appear to be too bad of a care sheet as pet store care sheets go. I question the part about the "heater". How cold does it stay in that part of Australia?

L

lisa

I live in Aus and every care sheet I see says gravel is fine, beef heart is fine and so on. When the guy at my lfs said that axies normally pass the rocks without any trouble at all, I remarked he had obviously never seen an axie try to pass gravel.
In Aus in summer I have trouble keeping the water under 20 degrees. In winter it barely drops below 15 degrees.
I had a good giggle when I saw 2 axies in a tank marked as a "breeding pair" and they hadn't even matured yet. I've given up finding any reliable info outside of this messageboard.

N

nathan

Those pics were just taken randomly from the net actually I think one of them is john’s pics that have been cropped so you can’t see the copyright

R

rita

Yeah, I never have trouble with my tank getting too cold, it's always too warm!!!
And I agree, Aus never has reliable info on Axies. It's a shame really, because pet stores are constantly selling out of them, so I wonder what happens to all those poor guys that don't go to experienced owners???

D

denise

when i decided to get an axie i had heaps of trouble finding any in a pet shop and when i asked the pet shops why they didnt have any they all said the same thing, "they die when people take them home and then complain to us" so i asked them all how to look after an axie and not one pet shop had any relevant facts that could assist a new owner. i was so annoyed that they put the blame on the person purchasing the axie. i also have a turtle and i had to get a license for him, i wish you had to for an axie cause not every pet shop can be bothered selling pets if you have to get a license to purchase one

M

monique

I love my Axolotl! I got her from the pet shop where she was being attacked by the other Axolotls and goldfish! Her name is Buddy and is very happy at my house I think. The pet shop didn't tell me how to look after her so I got on the web and found this site! I also brought a book for $35.00!

R

ros

Hi everyone
happy.gif

We have experienced numerous problems regarding lack in info in our 2 local pet shops - keeping our Axolotols here during the past year. It's actually a wonder Axol & Charlotte survived as much of the info, etc. given & purchases made were incorrect.
Anyway, a few months ago we purchased this computer & luckily I found this site. Thanks to everyone here for your input as we have learnt from you what we need to know to keep Axol & Charlotte alive. They have been thriving well since the appropriate environment, etc. has been provided - them. They are both now mature & Charlotte just laid well over 200 eggs on Wednesday - Friday. She is taking a much needed rest, separated from Axol, & has settled alright, however, Axol is very unsettled. I'm sure he's looking for Charlotte & is upset because of changes made - his housing arrangements as well.
As far as the weather goes it get's colder in New South Wales than it does in South Australia & I'm only using a heater - tank now for the eggs.
I have 1 question to ask regarding the eggs. Can they be safely moved across air or do they need to be moved under water?

R

ros

Thanks none the less dev tugnait, but I have read through all the info on this site & others, I also have heard heaps, however, I have been informed that if the eggs are moved out of the tank across air
ufo.gif
they will not survive.
I basically just want to know if this is right or wrong?? I'm doing it both ways to see what happens - outcome, anyway, there is no way we can house all.

D

dev

i am sure you can transfer them real quick in air, thats what i think at least wait for someone to confirm.

C

cynthia

Ros - I can only speak from my own experience. When I moved my axolotl eggs I lifted the plastic plants out that were covered in eggs and quickly put them in another container of water. They were exposed to the air for a few seconds. I had no problem with eggs hatching, they nearly all did.

R

ros

Thanks dev
smile.gif

please don't worry though, as a life member - RSPCA & Animal Welfare League I always try to do the best I can for all animals.
You are right, the eggs can be transfered - air. As long as they don't dry out & aren't packed close they should be fine.
I'll be transfering our axie's eggs tonight.
Your axie's look good together in the pic. They look like our's.
In appreciation, Ros.

R

ros

Thanks Cynthia
smile.gif

How many years experience have you had-keeping,
breeding & raising Axolotls?
In appreciation, Ros.

C

cynthia

Ros - I bought my first axolotls in the late 80's. I kept them for 13 years and raised many larvae.

I had to find them new homes at that time and have been having axolotl withdrawal until last year when my life became such that I could have some again.

F

firebugjen

HEY DENISE

haha im from cairns also and i just recently went, today actually, to find sand for my axie, I bet you talking about Ben's Pet Barn when u mentioned that 'the owners complain so we don't sell them anymore', I got pretty much the same answer, I got mine from Kens aquariam in edmonton, he seemed to sell out pretty quick, but i have to say, he has been saying pretty much what the other pet shop's say, its a pity hey,

this place, the forum, seems to be the best information care sheet i have come across.

Goodluck

R

ros

That's great Cynthia
happy.gif
I think I would suffer withdrawal symptoms if my axies & I were parted too.

D

denise

hello firebugjen
i got my axie from ultimate aquariums in manunda but i wouldnt buy anything from him because his advise was not very good. one of the ladies at the pet cafe knows heaps about axies cause she used to breed them so when i buy dog food and stuff i ask her heaps of questions. the pet store at smithfield has a great selection of axie pellets and food. they have all kinds of different pets but they are a little more expensive. the pet shop at earlville also know heaps about axies and can help you with questions. dont buy any animals from bens pet barn cause they are so dodgy, i dont buy anything there cause i have found the same stuff in other pet shops that have been way cheaper. sorry this is so long, im just excited about having somebody else in cairns with an axie

D

dale

hey every one im slowly on my way to setting up a tank for my first Axolotols and i was wondering if u can help me. i was just wondering ive read that they dont like alot of light so i was wondring if i got a black light or just put a dark blue cover over my fluerecent light would that be beter suited for them.

C

cynthia

dale - you do not want to use a black light. You can use a normal aquarium light if you give them lots of cover and places to hide; live or plastic plants and caves and pvc pipes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1