Look here for Aquarium Chillers

Also, I am wondering about this, because I am not sure, would one of these things be compatible with corner filters, or is thing also a filtration system? I have never seen one of these before. I freeze water bottles to keep my tank regulated, but I can't keep it regulated if I go out, or if I am on a trip, which luckily this time around I didn't have to worry about because My Axies were in the fridge because my tank isn't finished cycling yet. I am also moving hopefully soon, so maybe cycling my tank will be pointless, but I don't plan to move until there is a down stairs apartment availible in the apartment complex I am in. our apartment just will not get cool, even with AC! we turn the AC on, it has to run for at the least, one hour before it even starts to cool down! It's terrible, sometimes it's 80 degrees in our appartment alone. It was 106 degrees outside yesterday, today I don't know what the temp is, and I just can't stand it. I am really worried because I had no idea that Sacramento California would ever get that hot. I lived in Montana my whole life until I got married last August, and the worst temp I think I ever felt was somewhere maybe the worst, 102 degrees... I could be mistaken. It usually doesn't get hotter where I was from more than 100 degrees or so, and because we had a one story house, it was easy to keep the house cool. My husband and I live upstairs in our apartment, so now that I am really feeling the heat, I think my axies will too, even with frozen water bottles. I am also going to get some lovely plants for my tank, live plants that is. Some duck weed, and some other stuff, not sure what yet, I'm having a lot of fun deciding
happy.gif

Rheann an aquarium chiller to quite simply put it works on the same principle as a refrigerator or air conditioner. Freon helps lower the temperatures. It doesnt do any filtration, it just has one purpose mainting a stable cooler temperature. I dont personally own one so i cant recommend any to you. Good luck!

Thanks Dev
happy.gif
I wasn't sure if it also did filtration, because I have never used or seen an aquarium chiller. I am also going to get a Rena Canister filtration system, as it will help keep my tank cleaner at the bottom. I looked at other chillers, and this one looks right like the only one I can afford, if I save for it. The temp is just way too hot here not to get one, unless we move back to Montana, which is up in the air right now weither or not we will any time soon. I wonder if anyone on this forum has aquarium chillers, I would like to know their experences with them.

You can always google chillers and read reviews, cause i would look into it before spending $300+
happy.gif

Thank Dev, that's a wise Choice. I will do a google search, as I can't affod to make an investment in something if it turns out later it won't work. It's sort of like buying a vacuum I think. Most vacuums' don't even do their job right, unless the more expensive, the better the job the vacuum will do.

Hi Rheann i have a chiller because i live in Thailand[the weather is very hot here about 32 celcious] if you have any question you can ask me.

if you have a chiller on your water would the axies be a lot less active? Because I know that lower temperatures lower their metabolism and stuff. Because it would basically be like they are in the fridge 24/7 wouldn't it? (maybe not as cold though).

Hey Kungfoi, are the chillers worth it? Do they run up the bill a lot? Do I have to keep them on constantly? Thanks
happy.gif
Axies like the 63 degree water, Grant
happy.gif
I think there are different temps for different coolers, and the temps can be set.

Grant - I have added a 9 volt fan to the lid of my axolotl tank recently.

The water temperature before I added it was around 70 degrees.

The temperature is now closer to 65 and it doesn't seemed to of changed their activity much at all.

The fan idea worked great for me, but my house has a/c that I was keeping on 70. Now I have been able to raise it to 73/74 and keep the axolotls around 65.

The fan cost like $20 and the plexi glass for the lid was $13 (1/8" and had to be supported). One day I do need to redo the plexi glass lid with 1/4 inch that will cost $35 for a sheet. Still much cheaper than a chiller.

There are pictures of Kim's fan idea and then my copy of Kim's fan idea up in the General Discussion thread under "Cheap and easy tank cooling".

I wonder if someone want to know about home made aquarium chiller.
I can give you some tips

I was tempted to cannibalise a dehumidifier, which is essentially just a refrigerating element with a drip-tray, for this task. I never did it, though... we get away with ice bottles in 'sunny' Scotland ;)

it´s simple and cheap, you just got to have a refrigerator arc, and do two holes in it for the the outlet tube pass inside of it,use an air pump to make the water to flow, and inside the arc put some meters of the outlet tube in spiral shape, fill the ark with water and it´s ready to go. probably it´s not to explicit cause of my bad english

Yes a chiller is very worth and it doesn't run up a bill.Yes you have to run it constantly but it will cut down by itself when it reach a temp that you set.sorry for answer so late.

The ViaAqua chiller you have linked to is a very good one, or so I am told by several of my saltwater enthusiast friends.

you don´t know how like you guys are for not live here in portugal, cause here the chepeast chiller you can get it´s like 1000$

i dont really want one but was wondering is it like a pipe that goes into your water or does the whole thing go in sorry if that is a stupid question but i really dont no

no just the tube.
and it´s not a stupid question, when we don´t know , we ask...
smile.gif

hey lukey you here in aus there like 400 dolars australian and its not a dum question

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back