Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Surprise Guests

K

karen

With all the talk of tank-mates I just had to share about my 'surprise mystery guests'...

Often in the past when I've bought new plants for the tank we have ended up with the odd tiny snail... Which is fair enough, I cant see the harm in them, they stick to the top of the tank and keep out of Mouse's way...

But about two weeks ago dad went out and brought some more plants for the tank... I couple of days ago I went to feed mouse and what should I see swimming in the tank but 6 tiny 'mystery' fish!?!?! From the colouring of them I have guestimated that they are maybe neon tetras but the thing that gets me the most is how they all survived... firstly to hatch and then to not become a tasty snack for Mouse...

They have become bigger over the past week so I am moving them to a home of their own tomorrow - For their own sake and also most importantly for the sake of Mouse's gills...

Has anyone else had the same experience?

This is almost as weird to me as the first time I had Axie eggs in the tank!!
happy.gif

S

skylar

lol that is pretty wierd! I guess the temp in sydney is high enough for them to live and hatch without a heater..

Ever since I had millions of snails i always wash my plants thoroughly before i add them to the tank
happy.gif

C

coffo

shouldnt they keep the plants seperate from fish/snails whilst theyre in the shop?

S

sharn

they dont... the better ones do but most shops use plants they sell for cover in their tanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1