Guys need your help re moving..

J

jojo

OK...
so heres the drill (i maybe over reacting, but go easy on me.. im stressed OK LOL)

On sunday im moving out into a new place (long story and very late notice, i found out on monday). My biggest worry is the tank.
Im distrought enough that l have to cycle the tank all over again AND the reason l need your help, is coz l need suggestions on the best way to transport the sand (40 kgs mind you, my tank is a 3foot).
My thoughts on the matter is that, if i leave the sand in the tank
#1 WAY TOO HEAVY &
#2 im afraid that bottom of the tank will not be able to bare the weight of the sand.

Wats the easiest way to move? Pillow cases? A large sheet??? And i have carpet in my room as well.. sooooo its not as easy as laying out a sheet and piling the sand on top.

Any suggestions helpful!!!

ta guys,

jojo
smile.gif

What about bucket/s or large plastic storage containers or pillow case then plastic bag to stop water dripping from wet sand...(depending on how much sand you have!) - I recently picked up a 3ft tank and the stones had been left in it as person didn't want so I had to empty into plastic grocery/shopping bags as nothing else avail (I doubled them up - one inside the other so they wudn't split under the weight.)

thanks Kapo for a quick reply!!
happy.gif

The storage big is a great idea. Ill use the pillow cases to draw the water etc and then chuck the sand filled pillow case into the storage bin
happy.gif

Cheers
happy.gif

jojo

ok first off you need to keep your filters wet, theres a large part of your bacteria in them so keep as much of your water as you can and put your substrate and filters in that... that will pretty much eliminate your need for a re-cycle. you may get a small ammonia spike which wont last long and water changes will handle that.

leaving your substrate in the tank aint a good idea, could very easily crack the bottom and you dont want 40kg of sand all over the place now lol. good luck and plan ahead, much less stressful when you dont have things popping up all over the place

When I moved, I put all my substrate into small buckets and kept them filled with tank water (SMALL buckets! This stuff is heavy!) Then I put all my decorations (mostly silk plants) into a bucket with water (really cram 'em in there!) and kept the filters upright and full of water inside another bucket. Then, like Sharn said, only little tiny re-cycle.

Another note: I moved my tanks last. I think it's less stressful on the animals, as they're out of their tanks the least amount of time possible. When I arrived at the new place, it was quite warm, so I put everyone in the fridge for the night until I had their tanks set up the next day.

Like Kapo said the large storage containers are a good idea. If you look in one of the discount stores you should be able to find a couple of good sized ones that have wheels on the bottom... It's surprising how much easier those little wheels make moving stuff around!

I had to move twice with 7-12 setups. All the ideas given are a must! Keeping the substrate wet is key. I have used small file boxes lined with heavy duty plastic bags. plastic containers work well too. I moved the tanks lasts as a "special" trip. I made a special effort to set up the tanks first and get the water aged with an aerator for 8-10 hours. I kept the axolots in buckets with plants and aeration. I have had issues where the tank would not be set up for a week and made temporary setups out of large rubbermaid containers with filter and plants. They did well until my tanks were ready.
Mistakes happen when you feel rushed and are trying to get them into the tank too quickly. If you have a good temporary set up plan, you will not have to worry about rushing the process. When moving them to and fro, use a small cooler lined with a plastic bag. Tie off the bag prior to closing the lid to prevent splashing and leakage. The cooler will keep the temperature even. Use the tank water from their old set up. Bait shops/fishing store sell cheap battery operated aerators as well. This time of year where you live is hot, if I'm not mistaken. temperature concerns will be key. I dislike moving in the summer!!!!
One more thing, if your old tank water is at a perfect condition, buy 5 gallon water storage containers and save your old water. This may cut down on the stress. These containers are popular and sold everywhere especially during hurricane season. Fish people use them regularly as well.

Be careful, too, that when you're carrying the tanks, that you have TWO PEOPLE carrying it (one at each end), even if it's not heavy, so that the tank stays level. Any twisting or carrying sideways can disrupt the seals on the tank - and you may not find out until days later when there's water all over the floor in the new place.

*HATE* moving aquariums. Last time I moved, I had four - time before that, I moved NINE. *Ugh* I'm so glad that I have a house now, and will probably not move for another ten years.

(Message edited by s1ren on March 01, 2006)

Thanks so much guys!!!
Youve bee so helpful.
I know excactly what im going to do now!!!

I'll use the buckets idea (Gold medal goes to Joan LOL) for all the substrate the plants etc.
And the rest should be all good.

The recycling and transportation of the sand gave me the worst stress. Got the sand thing issue covered now. Al - my water condition is perfect, thats why im cranky about having to move. It took alot for me to get it perfect
sad.gif

And i cant move the water with me, its not an option
sad.gif

I suppose with everything in the tank kept in water, recycling shouldnt take too long.
Like Sharn said, small water changes will help if its not perfect

Id like like to say thanks again!
Im stll stressed about moving, but you guys have made me "stress-less" alittle. And i actually have a plan now. SO, THANKS!!!

jojo
happy.gif
)

Thanks hun!!! Need all the luck i can get before my head explodes! LOL

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

When I moved I took 50% of water with me too and there was no need to cycle again everything was good. I just used 4l water bottles (lots of them) from the supermarket. I have a 3ft and a 2ft tank and did both tanks this way. My substrate is just gravel so it went in a bucket. My fish and axie each went into buckets for about 1/2 a day while it all went on. There were no problems at all.

Probably too late for me to be saying that now though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back