Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think Rosie is a boy...

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Oh no, I think my new axie Rosie is a boy, as it's got a big cloaca and is quite thin. S/he is 5" long. Is it possible to tell yet at 5" long, or can it still change?
The reason I'm saying oh no about it is cos my other axie Axelina is a girl, and I don't want any eggs/babies. I also wouldn't want tank divider, as it would reduce their tank area into half. I don't know what to do...heeelp.Suggestions?

J

jojo

I dont think you should use a tank divider just yet. If it turns out that it is a male and you DO see anything, take them out before they are fertile.

I wouldnt worry about a tank divider just yet though.

I also think its too early to tell the sex yet

happy.gif

C

charlie

Realistically (from what I've read) even if they live together, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get eggs/babies the whole time. Some people have said they've had theirs living together for ages and not had issues.

S

sharn

yip, i have 3 males and 1 female in a tank and nothings happened. youd think that would be a good ratio cause the male initiates things.

if it does turn out to be a boy you can seperate them or just get rid of any eggs or any little 'packages' you find lying around.

thats about 12cm right (not too good with inches) but id say if its under 20cm its a bit too small, i couldnt sex one of my males for ages and joan has had some of hers surprise her too!!

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Thanx guys! Sorry I was panicking there a bit. I'm like a worried, over-protective mother when it comes to my axies! Am sure if the situation arises that Rosie ends up being a boy, I'll worry about it then. And not yet, as s/he is still a child, so that time will be still a few months away.
Sharn, are you sure one of your axies is a female? Could be a boy as well....??

S

sharn

DEFINATLY female, she is so fat compared to my boys and has no clocal bump at all. shes been 'female' for around 2 years now (its been around 2 years since she was old enough to sex) so i thought if she was going to surprise me she would have done it by now lol. maybe theyre just not interested in that stuff, doesnt bother me though, i dont really want 100 little mouths to feed haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1