Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie in fridge question

D

denise

i have read previous posts that have suggested that you can put an axie in a fridge upto 30 days. how long would the axie have to be out after the 30 days before you could put it back in. our summers last months up in cairns and i was wondering how long an axie can be placed in my fridge.

J

joan

I would take it out for a few days, make sure it eats and poos well, and then if need be, put it back in the fridge. Also, if it's not really hot, you can cool it with ice bottles and fans. So during the early part of the summer, before it gets blisteringly hot, try fans and such, then fridge over really hot part, then fans and ice again.

C

charles

Joan - Cairns is REALLY hot. Denise will be getting mid 30s most days for the air temp.

D

denise

thanks for your reply joan and yes just like charles said it is already really hot. its usually about 37 degrees most days and then some. but we should be starting our wet season soon if we ever get one this year. hopefully the fridge will be a last resort.

C

cake

37 degrees!?!? I wonder if it's possible to buy a water cooling system that you could put in the tank that could keep the water at a certain temperature... It would be very useful for hot countries but the cost is most likely to be the issue...It's probably worth it though.

J

joan

Chillers usually cost upwards of $300 or more, Cake. They're not a feasible resort for most people.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Sorry, I think I have asked this question before, but can't find the thread anywhere now...
It was about is there enough oxygen for an axolotl to be in a box in the fridge? I mean, especially with the lid closed to stop him from jumping out??

J

joan

Cold water holds more oxygen than warm water. Although since they can gulp air at the surface, oxygen content of the water is not usually an issue. If you're worried about it, poke holes in the lid, and shake up the water in a bottle before you pour it in with your axolotl. Also, I usually put a small towel over my axolotls when they're in the fridge to keep them from being blinded when the light comes on.

D

denise

if you are worried about oxygen in the water when they are in the fridge then you could always buy a battery operated air pump. i have one for when i go fishing to keep bait i catch alive in the boat, you can get them at a fishing tackle shop or im sure they would be on the net somewhere

R

robert

I just finished building my own Chiller. I am posting pics. I got this idea off this site. Basically all you do is buy a styrofoam esky, 4 metres or more of tubing, a Powerhead and ice. Put two holes in the side of esky the same diametre as tubing. One end of tubing goes to powerhead and other end is the inlet back to your tank. Coil the rest of tubing around the bottom of esky and fill with ice or Ice bricks. Turn it on and as the water circulates through the tubing in the ice cold water will flow to your tank. I got my tank down to 18C when it was 34 in the room. It cools slowly so you can leave axie in the tank. Make sure you leave the lid on esky and ice will last for ages. Its just a matter of draining the water out and refilling with ice. A good idea to save buying ice all the time is to buy 10 ice bricks and have 5 in the freezer all the time and swap them around. Better than spending $300.00-$800.00 on a chiller. Whole setup cost me $40.00 with ice
54619.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!