Beef heart

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
I have a question about how to feed beefheart to my axie? I bought some frozen beef heart cubes for the first time, but had some problems with them. I cut one frozen cube into half, and let it melt for a while, then put it into my axies tank.But it went into tiny pieces that started floating around the tank.Oops! Result: Hungry axie and tank in need of cleaning. How am I supposed to feed these cubes, so they won't dissolve into minimalistic bits? Advice needed. Thanks in advance

i feed them while they are still frozen and i feed them really fast so they dont melt in the water.

are the cubes not solid cubes ie theyve been minced then frozen? thats wierd if its like that lol, otherwise just feed it to them frozen, hold it in the water and as soon as it starts to break up feed it to them. feeding them solid frozen food could give them brain freezes (just joking), but apparently tiny frozen fragments can hurt their tummies? just something to think about.

i have probs with my axie tucker breaking up so i feed it just as it breaks up, still creates a bit of mess but i suck that out

i cut each frozen cube into 6 pieces and put them in a bowl and feed each piece straight away with tongs

Ahem.I can't get this right. I don't know if the cubes are minced beef heart or what. The container only says beef heart in German, nothing more. I tried to cut them into 6 tiny pieces,and hand feed, but no luck. Axie can't see them,from my hand or from sticks, and bites my fingers/sticks instead. By which time the tiny bit of cube has melted and soiled the tank again,huh.
Are all beef heart cubes like that? Is it worth trying another make? Or maybe I can just go to the butchers and ask them what's the smallest amount they would sell me?lol

lol i'd go with the butchers thing. I got half a kg (smallest they had) for like $2.

regular, whole beefheart will do the trick just make sure you cut off all the fat

The beef heart cubes I buy are like that too. They disintergrate upon defrost! I cut them into quarters and allow them to defrost only just enough to be able to poke them onto a skewer. I poke them about 3 cm up the skewer to avoid the sharp end being near the food of course. Then rest the end of the skewer into the substrate and give it a twirl in their little faces. Being submersed it has defrosted totally and when they 'snap' at it the cube come free cause it's not frozen any more. The only bits left to clean up are the ones that float out of their mouths while they chew/swallow - minimal mess!

Hopefully this will mean you can at least make use of the cubes you bought. Then go with the fresh stuff. You can cut it up in advance and freeze it yourself to combat the 'minimal quantity' issue. Guess it's kinda weird to ask for about a "mouthful" of beef heart at the butchers LOL
rofl.gif

That's a really neat idea, Joanne!

When I have the kind of chopped beefheart cubes that fall apart, what I do is thaw it, then combine it with (thawed) frozen bloodworms, and mash it all up together into a paste, then feed it to my newts in a plastic dropper (the kind you can get for feeding liquid medicine to human babies). It's kind of a messy process, but all of my newts have learned to eat from the dropper.
lol.gif

I have also used fresh beef heart. You should be able to get this from a butcher shop, meat market or slaughter house. They will probably give you the whole thing. I would have them slice it and freeze small packages for later use. This is more economical than frozen cube. It is very easy to slice small strips from a frozen piece and use a wooden skewer to wave the strip in front of the axies. If it is not eaten readily you can easily remove it as it will remain on the end of the skewer. Remember not to feed this to often as it would not be a naturally occurring food source in the wild.

Wow... Joanne, s1ren,, you guy's are amazing>>>> I love the creative ideas...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back