Algae, i think

C

caitlyn

i've never had an algae problem before, but now i'm noticing whitish 'dust' stuff in my tank and if i wipe it off it's brown. Is this algae?

Sounds like a "new tank" phenomenon, probably what's called "bluegreen algae" even though it's not that color, and it's not even algae! Cut back on as much light as possible (including light from windows) for about a week, and keep an eye on ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte levels. Should go away.

my tank has been fine for about a year without algae :/ won't my plants die without light?

im not sure that they would be able to, and besides the axoltols, body clock would be f*cked over wouldnt it, by perpetual darkness

By moving the tank away from the light, you are not going to be in 'perpetual darkness', nor will it harm your axolotls.

Caitlyn, where is the white stuff? On the substrate, on the decorations? Is it billowy, in long threads, or kind of a mat?

If your plants are healthy, they'll be perfectly okay. Axies aren't fond of light anyway.

if you have this blue/green algie in a tank, is there a chemical that you can add to the water that is safe for an axie and do lower temperatures kill algie, i have this in my tank and it is a new tank but only on my plants, i have a new chiller but have not turned it on yet and i am using a new canister filter which has been on the tank for a week now.

not sure about the lower temps- i assume they take hold where ever they can. chemicals used to kill algae are bad for axies as they have very sensitive skin. there is normally a very easy solution to algae once you have found the cause.

it is a light covering over the glass that appears white. my tank isn't in direct sunlight (i hate the sun so my curtains are always closed..) and i always have the light off in the tank as it stresses my axies
happy.gif

was reading a book today, said that blue green algae can be caused by high nitrate?

are you sure its not some teeny tiny little bug things? might be from lack of light?

nitrate in my tank is 0, so i guess its not that. and it could be bugs although they don't move, and its only on the lighter side of the tank. Could it be from lack of light if my plants all grow fine? my room isn't pitch black lol

If your tank is established, your nitrAte should not be 0. Perhaps you're mixing it up with nitrItes?

Hi Guys,
I had a really bad problem with algae when I first joined the group. Some how I found an over night cure for it. I have snails in my tank and having read I need to give them a calcium supply I put in a small piece of cuttlefish (like you give to birds)the algae had gone completely when I got up next day. All my water readings are ok. I have no idea if the cuttlefish caused the drastic change but it might be worth a try.

52416.jpg

52417.jpg

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are all 0, and the pH is 7.1. Not sure why the nitrate is 0, but i do have a lot of plants so that might contribute? the tank is established, it was cycled before i added my axies, and that was months ago
happy.gif

Are you using test strips or the liquid drops for testing ? Often times folks find the test strips are not that accurate.
You would have to have allot of plants, just the right amount of light, on and on , to have 0 nitrate.
Interesting... Wish i could come up with that combo, even with my fish tanks.

as theresa said you would need to be super stocked on plants with nearly no fish (ie one tetra or something).

its either the nitrite or nitrate kits (yeah, my memorys <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>!) that have a very limited shelf life so that may also be a prob?

maybe the white is micro/macro? organisms flocking towards the lightest part of the tank?

yeah that could be it (the macro and micro thing). well my test kit is new (like a week old) but i bought it to the pet shop and it is indeed 0. i have about 20 plants in the tank and 3 axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back