Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How old is my Axolotl

B

benjamin

Hello,

I am new to the site and I bought my Albino axolotl about a yr ago form a local pet store. He has grown from a medium size to roughly 17cm in that time and I am wondering if anyone is able to tell me how old he might be and how to tell. He also seems to have grown quite large and I have just upgraded his tank as he outgrew the old small one. Will he grow even larger now in the bigger tank or is he near fully grown.

Thanks,

Ben and Bruce the Axolotl}

A

alex

hey ben, he will grow to around 20-30 cm. how big was he when you got him?. id say hes roughly around 1 year and 3 months. they mature anywere from 1-3 years.

B

benjamin

G'day Alex,

Appreciate the late reply.I just wasnt sure if I was sold a young one or one thats a bit older as they are usually smaller in the shops.
happy.gif
He was about 10-12cm's when I got him and is much the same as your pic except without the markings on the head.
He is also pretty fat and lazy and doesnt do much.
Ah well, I guess I'll just have to get a larger tank again when he gets to full size. I have a two footer now so it might be enough.

Thanks,
Ben

B

ben

Cool, Thanks for that. Mine isnt quite that big yet so maybe I'll get a larger one later and get him a mate.
lick.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1