Ok... I want the truth, the whole truth, and.....

T

theresa

talker.gif

...now, i know we all tend to hold in our minds that our little animal and amphibian friends are like little people.
signs.gif
even though they are not.
So, i am thinking of getting a 20 gallon long (12x30 inches). in talking with my fish store owner who sells them, he said he only recommends having them singularly, because he thinks they tend to bite on each other and cause injuries...
i would like to know honestly from all of you if this has been your experience and how often it has happened.
Everyone talks about how their axies hang out together etc. and so i am wondering if Henry would like the company. Of course i too would enjoy watching two. henry seems to hang in the upper corners of the tank, lounging on the plants i have. i rarely see him swimming around the tank, except to paddle along to the next plant.
At the store he came from, the other 3 that he lived with are always moving along the bottom looking for food, because the owner drops in cubes of bloodworm for them to eat. Thanks for all input.

If one wants to be ABSOLUTELY safe, then housing them singly is the surest bet. But we humans enjoy seeing animals in pairs or groups - I guess it appeals to our own social instincts. And some axies do just fine in a group, as long as they are all well-fed and of similar sizes and strengths. It's a matter of personal choice, how much space we have available, and what risk we're willing to take.

Cannibalism is a tendency axolotls have until they are bigger, I've been told about 3" is when it begins to be safe to put them together, but they also will still snap at anything smaller as adults anyway. Check out www.axolotl.org for info. Axie adults need 12" of floor space minimum each.

Adults also swim less and less as they get older.

Edited had a brain fart.
crazy.gif

(Message edited by j4782 on January 14, 2006)

my axolotls only bit each other during feeding time as they mistake each other for food. i advise that if you do get another axie get one thats the same size as your one.

Jinny, The 20L is 30 inches long. I think that is enough for two. The other axie i a thinking of getting is probably from the same batch, and is the same size, about 5 inches.

Hey Theresa,
ive never had a problem with my boys fighting or ripping chucks out of each other. Mine are not the same size, but have been with each other since very young - so that may have contributed to why they havent tried to push the friendship by taking a arm or a leg off LOL

Also, with past axies, havent had a problem.
Just make sure that they have alot of room so they arent in each other face all the time - that way they can have their own personal space in the tank etc.

My white albino had my gold albino's whole right leg in it's mouth last night, but it's the first trouble iv'e had so far and only cause it was feeding time and Tango was annoying the <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> out of Medusa but i tapped on the glass a few times and she let go
happy.gif
with no damage Phewww
happy.gif
i have three in my tank and they seem to get on well usually, but i have lots of places for em to hide....

We got our first four babies (hubby went to collect 2 and came back with 4 as cudn't make up his mind!)(were about 7cm/now about 13cm) at same time and they share a large tank. Ours do seem to all hang out in same corner sometimes but otherwise head of in own directions and don't bother each other. But when they are together they all sit on top of each other (leucs on top of wildtypes), or sometimes try to squeeze into the same pvc pipe or under the bridge!

I've kept axolotls in groups ever since I've had them. They do nip at each other. I've had one lose a gill stalk, and one lose a hand. However, usually they realize that what they're biting is not 'food', and let go. They have fairly poor eyesight and snap at whatever goes by.

They usually 'hang out' together because the spot is prime for hiding, food getting (They'll gather to the side of the tank you're nearest), or some other reason. It's not because they're social and want to be friends.

If you plan on getting two, a 20long is the very smallest tank I would recommend. The bigger the tank, the more leeway you'll have in water quality and creating hiding spots.

Joan, thanks for your insight, and everyone else. I did want to hear your stories, and then make my decision.
Although Ed has said what you did before, seeing all those pics and reaing all the stories about their little ones happily hanging and lolling around, i lost sight of the reasons.... Thanks

I think three axolotls is probably the maximum in a 20L tank (30x12x12 inches). I have found 20 gallon longs can work well when you have different underwater shelves and hiding spots along with plant coverage. I house three with no problems in this same setup. I keep the water level at 10-11 inches and have lots of fake plants. The filtration is not too strong and there is only passive light from a north facing window. They have been in this setup for 2-3 years with no problems. Keeping one or two is always the safest and will be easier. If you are going to house one, I would get a 10-15 gallon. Institutions keep them each in small rubber maid containers with or with out filtration on large racks. These containers do not look bigger than 10 gallons (? 8 gallons).
If you think this will be a long term hobby, get a 55 gallon (48x12x24) since 55's are the most cost effective tank to buy. You can even find them at yard sales or for sale section in the paper. 55 gallon tanks are very popular and people will sell them as whole set ups (top, stand, filter etc.) for under $100. 55 gallon tanks go for $99 new. After you add tops (2) and filter, you are looking at $160-180 brand new. If you add a stand then that can double the cost. Lights is for the owner only and for live plants. I think axies get spooked too easily when lights are turned on.
A large tank can always be partitioned if you want to separate by color or sex.
Any used tank or filters, should be properly cleaned and sterilized. I have found most folks that are selling their setup (fish) more than likely had a issue with fish dying. Some of these bacterias can be passed on in the setup. Most experts say to never reuse gravel or certain decorations and ultimately throw them away.
Al

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back