Care of axolotls

N

norman

have raised tropical fish must of my adult life. is having axolotls as pets that much harder. want to make sure know what i am doing before i but sone axolotls

welcome to the axolotl world!have a read of www.axolotl.org it contains nearly everything you need to know.
if you have any questions after that feel free to come back and ask
happy.gif
IMO i think theyre a bit easier (i have two big tropical tanks) because theres no heating involved (sometimes cooling!) and you dont have to feed them everyday

ok thank you. never had much trouble with tropical fish and never worried to much about the water. just no to over feed. so sounds like i would be fine with axolotls. sure are cute

yep axolotl.org is the place to go and i think axolotls are about as easy as birds in my opinion. they're pretty delicate things, axolotls.

Norman, if you would like some axolotls and when you feel you are ready, Michael Shrom should have some soon, or might have some now. Or if he doesn't have any right now, you could try Ward's Natural Science. Here is their link:
http://www.wardsci.com/Product.asp_Q_cm_E_1_A_pn_E_878252

The babies that they currently have are from the axolotl colony. I have two of theres, and six in total
happy.gif

Michael Shrom usually posts on the forum once in a while, so just scroll through until you see his name, click on his profile and send him a private message.

Good luck to you
happy.gif

Hi Norman,
welcome.i am new to Axolotls as well, and have several tropical fish tanks as you do.
.Hmn...easy? that is a good question. Actually I think it is about the same as fish keeping, which if you are concerned about keeping your fish healthy, and taking into account their needs, (particular varied diet, good water conditions, compatability, water temps. etc,) is not really that easy. I also have birds which are very demanding and need allot of work to keep cages clean and feed a varied diet.
Keeping clean balanced water is very important. I do know some folk who have never paid much attention to water in their tanks, hardly do water changes, and can't figure out why their fish die, then go out and buy others, only to have them die after several weeks or months.
I suggest you read up on cycling the tank and read the suggested sites before you buy because they are cute.
(not saying that you wouldn't.)
i take any animal or fish that i take into my home very seriously, and try to learn all i can to make sure they have long, healthy lives, as they are totally dependent on my care.
hey! I agree they are sooo cute and fun to watch. ! good luck and hope you find the right axie for you !!

already have talked to shrom and ward sci. as for losing lots of tropical fish i never had that problem. always use good filtering system and make sure i dont over feed. thanks all for the help. well be using a cyprio bioforce 250 filter on my tank with axolotls. i usually go over on the filtering system

remember axolotls do not like strong water flow, so baffle the water flow and have it going against the side of the glass
happy.gif
good luck!

have a 55 gallon tank so should be ok for 4 axolots right. on the water flow back to tank it will be ran through a plastic pipe with holes along the length and facing back of tank. thanks again for all who have given advise

I have a 60 gallon with four adults in it. There is room in there for 6, which I have 6 but two are still too young and small to go in with the big ones yet.

55 is big enough for 5 axolotls, so four they would have plenty of room to run around in
happy.gif

What color types are you getting? Can you post some pictures when you get them and everything all situated?

would like a wjite 1 gold 1 black 1 and albion but want all same sex. will be awhile still learning things for i get them. also plan on getting 2 diamond back turtles for my 1000 gallon garden pond.

your filtration sounds ok with the spray bar and all. i presume it does 250lph? that should be ok but make sure you can turn it down if necessary.

if you want them all the same sex you will have to get adults around the 20cm mark to be able to sex them
happy.gif

what happens if i have both sexes and dont want to breed them.

Norman, if you have both sexes, if you find either eggs or spermaphores in your tank, just remove them as soon as you find them. If you do not want to raise the eggs, cull them. There are different methods, but this needs to be done before the baby starts to develope in the jelly egg. Freezing them, boiling water, or you can sell or give away the eggs to pet shops are terrible with eggs and axolotls, but there is a sale section at the top of this page is a link that says recent for sale. you can advertise the eggs there for free or for sale.

i have both sexes (3 males, and a female) together and they havent bred. which is kinda wierd seeing as the male does the first part... i wouldnt mind trying to raise 3-4 just to see how easy it is though.

I don't necessarily agree that a 55 is big enough for 5 axolotls. It has a 48inch footprint. If you abide by the rule of 12 (that is, 12inches per axolotl), that's only room for 4, even though it's taller. In the axolotl world, tall tanks are wasted space. Unless you put shelves in it, like I did. Then you get more 'footprint' space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back