What the heck is this stuff??

J

jeff

So my last larvae dies last night. Thats 17 for 17 dead. I have done numerous tests and can't figure out what happned. The last one lived for 2 weeks. Here is the interesting part, the blackworms I put in somehow produced or became some very light brown fluff on the bottom. Simmiler to what you would expect to find in a bucket of pond water. It didn't worry me beacuse I have been told that axie babies can find nutrients in the top layer in a tank. But somehow my last one, who was eating well, died. I am trying to figure out what this stuff on the bottom is. Here is some of the bast shots I was able to take. Sorry the quality sux.

50088.jpg

50089.jpg

50090.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on December 21, 2005)

Hi Jeff,
It is what is referred to in the old fish books is called mulm.
Basically it is all of the uneaten food, fecal matter and other detritius that builds up.

Ed

It seems like alot for just a few larvae. And also, is it harmful for the axies, Jen mentioned some of it is actually good eatin.

If you leave food and fecal matter to build up on the bottom of the tank, it could have rotted and fouled your water.

Jeff, looks like debris from dead brine shrimp or something like that. Whether mulm is harmful, harmless, or beneficial (providing micro-organisms that larvae eat) depends on the age of the mulm. If it's "fresh", or coming from a new or too-clean tank, it tends to be bad.

Cake, I deleted your post. Please limit yourself to comments that are helpful.

Would this "mulm" be edible for daphnia, as i know have a huge bloom in that tank?

It would give off nitrogenous waste as it decays, creating a good environment for free-floating algae, which daphnia feed on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back