Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brand new

T

theresa

hello Everyone..... totally new to these wonderful creatures, but do have several fish tanks.
i have been pouring over this forum. Wonderful info.
i have a new 10 gallon all set up, cycled and will get my first axie in two days. HOWEVER, i have now realized that my room temp.is usually between 68 and 70. (My landlords control the heat). i'm worried as to whether this will be ok for him.? Also, can i feed him hikari carnivore pellets, or hikari shrimp pellets? i don't have a printer so cannot do the order form from kentucky. Thanks in advance for all help.

C

cake

Well you don't want to ask me for my advice because i'm always wrong.

S

sharn

well www.axolotl.org (have a read if you havent already) says 60-64F is optimal but anywhere from around 14-20C or so is ok. what is your water at now? any chance of your landlord turning down the heat a bit, im sure hed be happy to oblige.
earthworms are a great staple as well as blood worms, meal worms (chop there heads off though), black worms etc etc, id go with those if possible

(Message edited by sharn on December 20, 2005)

T

theresa

thanks Sharon. i've tried to read everything on that site. it is in the 30's(f) here, cooold outside. The temp. in my studio apt. is generally between 65 and 68. (cool to me...) For some reason the tank temp is about 70. (maybe because of the HOB (hang on back filter) motor. in the summer it will be cooler. gosh, I hate to think I cannot keep a darling axie because of that temp.... Don't other folk in cold climates keep their heat on in the house... what do they do? are they adaptable at 70? i cannot keep it on the floor, not allot cooler anyway. The tank is already on a low stand. his home is all landscaped beautifully with sand, logs, plants....

J

joan

Theresa, welcome to the wonderful world of Axolotls! 60-70 is fine, as long as it doesn't get over that very often or for very long.

The filter motor will warm the water slightly, but again, it's not too warm and I wouldn't worry. There are many ways to cool a tank.

I have my heat on around 50 and wear lots of cloths. The bedroom's got a spaceheater, but the newt room is chilly.

If you can't order the pellets from the colony, Michael Shrom also sells them (although he is out of them at the moment).

As Sharn said, earthworms are a great staple. Most of us around here use them. You can also use waxworms and butterworms on occasion as a treat, as well as beefheart or liver.

Good luck!!

T

theresa

Ah.... Am sooo glad to hear that!
Now.. I do have frozen blood worm and brine shrimp, but i do not have a clue as to how to do the earthworm thing...
So.. I get some from my garden? where do you get them in the beginning, and then what do you do? Thanks for the quick reply. i want to be as ready as possible for my new friend. WOW... 50... and you live in Mich?? i am truly a woos, moving from maine to this milder clime... damp.... dark.... lol.

J

jeff

Hey theresa! I am wondering where you found your axies at, I haven't seen any in the state so far, but I don't go into seattle much. This climate is great!!! You can get worms from the garden just fine, and then culture them up, using a compost box and veggie scraps/dirt.

J

joan

I get mine from Walmart. If you get the canadian or european nightcrawlers, you won't be able to culture these. The compost worms are culture-able, but can sometimes be refused by axolotls as they secrete a bad-tasting fluid. If you do get wild worms, make sure they're from a source that is fertilizer and pesticide free.

I feed mine worms about half as long as they are (cut them if necessary), and drop them in front of your axolotl. I should caution that if you hand feed (hold the worm in front of them until they eat it), they'll become terrible beggars and it will be hard to train them to find their own food again.

T

theresa

Thanks everyone for your help1 much appreciated.
jeff... ok... venture across the bridge (90), and come right off on Rainer. go to the international district, and go to kings Discus on king St. he has 3 left, a golden l , and 3 other black ones. the only ones i've seen around. the owner is Michael, a great guy, and tell him i sent ya ! Do you have any now.?
I am now on the hunt for pest free worms...

T

theresa

hey jeff, oops.... just saw that you have many axies... and mulm ...LOl.Just brought my FIRST home. Henry...(don't ask me why )... very excited and he is exploring all the plants and rocks and driftwood! Hurrah!!

S

sharn

i beleive all of jeffs babies died
sad.gif

T

theresa

Wow, so sorry . Extremely disappointing I am sure.
Do you have adults?

T

theresa

Great!!! Thanks so much for that, Paris ! This certainly lowers my anxiety level... i'm certain i have seen that at the lps. All I had at this point was frozen bloodworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1