Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm farms

A

apryl

I'm going to try setting up a worm farm for axie food,I have gotten ideas for building it,but as axies aren't too keen on compost worms what do I feed them? I know it has been mentioned before but I can't find the thread.Also,my sister heard of a liquid you make from stuff around home that when sprayed on the ground makes the worms come up,has anyone ever heard of it? I think it "smells" like rain to them.

J

jennifer

I've never heard of something you can spray to make worms come up from the ground. However, if you want to raise worms in a tub, you might not get the correct type of worms from the ground. Many of the ground-dwelling types reproduce too slowly or cannot tolerate the crowding conditions that compost worms thrive in. This article, and its links, might be helpful:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

In my experience, homegrown compost worms are more readily eaten than store-bought ones. (The store bought ones are usually raised in manure.) And with homegrown ones, you can pick out small ones that do not need to be cut, so the taste is less of an issue. I would bet that your axies would learn to eat small homegrown compost worms.

A

apryl

Thanks Jennifer,that was helpful,I will let you know how it goes.
frog.gif

S

stipe

buy a 2 tubs of starter worms from a fish shop for about 10 nz dollars then transfer them to a bigger tub (food container wit lid) make sure it has air holes (not big enought for the worms to escape) and leave it in the fridge. They thrive like rabbits. i started with about 30 now have around 200. Each worm lays one egg at a time, they are uni-sex. They breed prity fast. You cant use normal soil because it frezzes in the fridge. You can buy worm soil (contains nutrients etc) from pet sops. All you do is spray it one a week (lightly) with water and about one a couple of moths (or until the food it completly gone)put some letuce in it, they love letuce, only a little bit thoght and rip it up abit
happy.gif

THats wat ive been doin and it works great
happy.gif

A

apryl

Awsome,thanks Stipe,that's really interesting and helpful too.Am going to look into the soil from petshop.At this stage everything in my little "farm" is going well.I'm just going to leave it for now,and let the worms do the work,so am still hunting worms in my outside garden.

J

jennifer

If you can't find worm soil, use coco-fiber (Bed-a-Beast type stuff). Or use peat moss buffered with crushed egg shells (peat by itself can be too acidic).

S

stipe

Sooner or later you might notice that the worms( some) streach out and end up as skinny as string. Those are dead and that when you have to throw away your hole setup because thatxs an indicator of disease or sickness. Dont feed your axies these!!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1