Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A question for the experienced....

L

lindsay

I was just wondering how big and axie should be before you move them into a big tank?

The axie i'm getting is 5 months old and 9 and a bit cm long... Is that still too small to put in my tank? I have a 30 inch tank with sand substrate. there is nothing in there that could crush it.

Cheers

S

sharn

there is nothing wrong with putting a small axie in a big tank- in fact thats good! it gives them alot more room to grow and explore. if only all axie keepers kept their animals in larger than needed tanks...

J

joan

The only real reason for keeping small axies in small tanks is that it's a lot easier to observe them. If you're comfortable with a small axie in a big tank, and the tank is all ready, then by all means, move him to the bigger tank. And post pictures!

(Message edited by Joan on December 12, 2005)

V

vanessa

hi joan and sharn,
um its not small its tiny lol its one of my babies and i dont know how it will go being fed because of the depth of the tank.....thats why lindsay posted this question because i didnt know how one of my babies would go in a big tank at that age. i have no problem with the size of the bottom of the tank its just that the depth might be a little too much cause how will it get fed the food will fall of the end of a skewer before it reaches the axie, unless its moved everday into a shallow container. hmmm maybe im just being paranoid lol. but i should show you a pic of one cause lindsay hasnt chosen one yet. i was thinking that maybe lidsay should keep the ones she get in their containers until they are bigger so that they will be easier to feed in their new tank. but i dont know, please everyone let me know wat u think.
happy.gif
49796.jpg

J

jennifer

If it would be inconvenient or impossible to feed it in the big tank, better wait 'til it's a bit older.

H

hayley-jane

I like Sharn's idea.

When I had my big tank I lowered the water to half of what it is now until Elsa grew bigger.

I was worried about her being able to swim to the top for air, because sometimes, when she was little, she would swim half way up then give up and float back down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1