COOLING AXIES

P

pina

I have three axies that I inherited from my son. They are in a 4 foot tank and since January we have been using a techo 200 chiller to keep the water temp. at about 15-16 degrees. The problem is the chiller is in for repairs which will take two weeks to fix. {They have to send to W. Aust} so with the weather getting hotter the tank is now up to 20 degrees.

What can I do besides a fan and ice bricks to bring temp. down?
We used these techniques last summer and they were not successful.

I don't want to loose the axies as I have become quite attached to them.

I know if you have a sick axie you can put it in the fridge, would this harm a healthy axie or not.

I don't know what to do. They have been used to a temp. of 15-16 for nearly 11 months so to get to 20 must be distressing for them.

Hope someone can help.

20s not too bad, i wouldnt stress too much
happy.gif
maybe a fan would work, i find that it helps to bring down the temp a few degrees in cooler weather compared to hotter weather (it didnt do anything then). unless they get really stressed ie floating constantly, getting fungus etc i wouldnt worry that much. you could try insulating the tank with polystyrene?

Thanks Sharn,
Yes I have the fan going and also ducted air con. but still temp. is rising. It is now 21.7.
Also two of the axies are floating on top and the chiller has only been gone for 6 hours. My axies usually spend most of their time on the bottom with occasional trips to the top.
What will they be like tomorrow when it is hotter.

Can they go in the fridge?

if you really want to put them in there you can. i know it gets super hot in aussie, but some peoples axies live in like 24 C constantly. its up to you, it wont bother them
happy.gif

Thanks again Sharn,
I put them in the fridge last night and I'm glad I did, temp. is now 25.7.
I just felt that after being at a temp. of 15 for so long then going up to over 20 they would be better off in fridge until I get the chiller back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back