Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just a few questions

M

melissa

my new axie is in a tank 30 high deep and 60 long, i was wondering if i could fit another in. and she stays on one side of the tank, i think this is bcoz of the airflow i need to change that think.
i was wondering how axie's get long gills like on the website, my fiance wants one like that

i had another question but cant remeber

J

joan

I assume that's in cm, since you're from Australia. At that size, you could fit another axolotl in the tank. It may be a little cramped if one is territorial over the other though.

They need very slow or still water. They don't like water flow. I only use a small airstone in my tank.

The gills are mostly genetic, so unless yours is already like that, then there's really no way to 'make' their gills long.

J

jordan

60 cm is only 23 inches, so if you had another axie in there it would be very cramped (depending on axie size). You should at least give them 12 inches each and its close so it will probably work but it will be a tight fit.

R

rob

my smaller tank is the same size 60x30x30cm and i have 2 x axies in there and they seem quite happy
but they "do" get along
happy.gif

J

john

Actually, they are right on the gill thing exept that they tend to have longer gills if there is less air because well yaeh I don't totaly know exept that it would be so they can gather more air, easyer. I donno y..

~John

J

jordan

Well they would have "bigger" gills because there is less oxygen in the water, thus resulting in "bigger" gills. The gills are used to move the oxygenated water towards them. SO the bigger the gills, the less oxygen available would be my guess.

J

jo-leen

hey guys,
in glad melissa bought up gills because ive been pondering about my axies gills for a while now.
When i bought my axies as youngsters they had very long gills, ive started to notice latley that they are smaller and dont look as bright/healty (so to speak) as they used to.
Im scared that something is wrong but all almost positive that they water quality is fine (so the gentleman at the petshop said - im not too sure whether i trust him or not though). I think its time i do my own water tests? ? ?

Does anyone know for sure that is correct - the bigger the gills the less oxygen is available??? it seems logical, Im just a worried mama! !
errr.gif

H

hayley-jane

Jo-Leen - definitely get your own water testing kit, then you know for sure
happy.gif

Big gills are due to both genetics and water quality.

As Jordan was saying, the bigger the gills, the less oxygen in the water.

Axie's take in their oxygen through their gills, so if there isn't much oxygen in the water, their gills need to be bigger = more surface area with which to find oxygen.

The more oxygen in the water, the less gills needed, so they tend to shrink.

I've heard of loads of cases where axie gills have shrunk due to better water quality (mine included) but I've never heard of them increasing in size before.

The colder the water in your tank, the more oxygen.

Shrinking gills however can be a sign of poor health, but unless he's showing any other signs i.e. not eating, floating, I personally wouldn't be too worried.

S

sharn

i used to have a axie whos gills curled fowards and touched his head they were so long! when he swum they reached about half way between the front and back legs! they have now shrunk. i have never seen an axies gills grow longer before, only become more bushy

J

john

As said before, it is usually hereditary, but can be caused by thier environment.

~John

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1