Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good news for people who love Bad news

R

rheann

Just kidding, that's actually an album title for a group called Modest Mouse.

The real news is that Petsmart now has 60 gallon tanks for the price of a 50 gallon tank! The 50 gallon tanks here at my local Petsmart are $119 before taxes. I am not sure how much they would be anywhere else, but getting a 60 gallon tank for that price I think is pretty good
happy.gif

It comes with the hood lights and cover, but not the filter or anything else. It's not a limited offer the store is offering I don't believe, since the tank has a big factory sticker on it that says this.

I'm either going to look into that tank or a giant storage bin for my Axies, either one will work just fine sine that old tank Project I was trying to do didn't work as well as I had hoped.

But either way, I need to get something soon because my Axies are getting rather big for their tank now.

J

jordan

what size tank do you have now??? That would seem like a good deal to me, you should get it.

R

rheann

I actually have several tanks/containers right now.

I have one 20 gallon tank that is housing three sub-adult Axies. Pretty soon that tank will only be big enough for two.

Then I have another 5 gal tank that is holding two tiny two inch Axies with a divider. They're doing ok for now in that tank.

They will be moved into a 10 Gal tank soon with lots of hidy holes
happy.gif

And then my new little buddy, Bobo, my Gold one which I rescued from a pet store, he is in a container in quarantine.

I had a 40 gal tank that I was going to set-up. It was an older tank but I found it to be too far beyond re-pair for me, so I will either be getting that 60 gal tank soon or a very large storage container because I saw some here that are well beyond big enough for all of my Axies when they are adults, but I like the idea of being able to see them from the sides and the top, not just the top
happy.gif

I didn't really want to get another Axolotl, but I felt really bad for Bobo when I saw him being housed with a bunch of goldfish that were 2 times as large as he was constantly nipping at his gills.

I'll actually be able to find out either later today or tomorrow after we get some bills paid off if I can get that tank. I feel happy about that
happy.gif

J

jordan

well i hope you can get the new tank for Bob or whoever else is going in there.
wink.gif

R

rheann

All 6 will eventually go in there, but since my two babies are still so small, they will stay in the 10 gallon once I get it all situated and cycled, and then when they get big enough they can join the big boys and girls in the bigger tank
happy.gif

R

rheann

I'm not sure yet. Will soon. Going out to see Saw 2 and then later to Petsmart.

It is a long tank rather than a tall tank, so plenty of room for 6 Axies, 10 gallons to each Axie
happy.gif

I think it's a pretty good deal Considering 10 free gallons
happy.gif

J

jordan

O i want to see Saw 2 so bad! i envy you for being able to see it today.

R

rheann

Ok, well I am back from the movie, dinner and visiting Petsmart.

The tank is huge! And it was in an area of the store where I couldn't check to see the dimensions. Basically it is a 50 gallon tank, but has an extra 10 to it, which makes it taller, but not wider.

And I liked Saw 2, it was good
happy.gif
Go see it when you can ^___~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1