Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl intellegence

A

alex

hey all, i was just wondering about axolotl intelligence. how smart are axies?? does any1 on this forum have any interesting things there axie does or very intellingent things there axies do?? id love to hear them. also are there any tricks axies can learn i would like to know about that aswell.

N

natalie

Well, mine bit his own tail last night after spending a few minutes chasing it. He was rather shocked when he realised what he'd just done...........!

J

joan

LOL, that's great!

Mine take turns riding the airstone bubbles to the surface. One right after another.

N

natalie

hahaha! Yeah mine does something similar, he floats up to the top and lets the force of the filter push him across to the other side of the tank, then he goes around and does it again!

A

amy

mine do that too! also once theyve come over to see my hand in the tank and nipped it they will almost try to swim right through it so i dont think theyre all that smart but we love em!

J

jordan

Wow axolotls are definitely the smartest creature in the water.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1