Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much food??

C

chris

<font color="aa00aa">Sorry for the new thread guys but I just want to know how much food is toooo much...also what in your opinion is the best diet for my axyies??</font> they are both mature adults.....

R

rheann

Hey Chris, I think everyone here has different feeding schedules for their axies. some feed them every day, some feed them every other day, some feed them three time a week.

I think it is really up to you what you would like to do, but when you do feed them, make sure that their is not too much and not too little.

An example I think for one meal that an Axolotl would consume for me would be:

Half an earth worm, 3 pellets and either a half a cube of frozen blood worms or a cricket depending on the week I am feeding their treat cricket.

And I fed this to them every other day.

but now that my Axies are getting bigger, they can pretty much consume an entire earthworm if I let them, so now i am getting used to a new feeding schedule.

I can either choose to get them one whole earthworm, or I will give them half an earthworm, a whole cube of blood worms and 3 pellets.

The key is just to get them full, but not too full and keep them satisfied until the next feeding
happy.gif
and also to give them a bit of a variety.

J

jordan

Rheann is right, because axies will continue to eat if you present them with enough food. You need to not under-feed or overfeed.

C

chris

<font color="aa00aa"><font face="arial,helvetica">thanx guys appreciate the info</font></font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1