Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PH too high?

J

jordan

Hey i just checked the pH of my water and its at 8 even. Is that too high for an axolotl or not. and if it is, what can i do to lower it down? Thanks

J

jennifer

What is the pH of your tap water (after adding dechlorinator)? What I'm getting at is... is your tap water this pH, or is there something in the tank causing the pH to climb? Also, is the tank newly set up, or has it been running a while?

My pH is 8 and it's no problem. If you have live plants, they tend to decrease the pH over time. But it's probably fine where it is.

J

jordan

my tap water's pH is 7 after dechlorinator and before it. The tank is cycling and has been cycling for 2 weeks.

J

jennifer

That's odd. Do you have any cement, limestone, shells, etc.? These things tend to dissolve and increase pH. I can't imagine any other reason why the pH would increase that much.

J

jordan

i have shells and some other decorations in there. That is all that I have.

J

jennifer

The shells are probably the reason, then. It might be better to take them out.

J

jordan

well yesterday i did a water change and i tested the water today. The pH now is testing at 7.4 which is really good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!