Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yay! Got a big tank!!! Woo hoo!!

V

vanessa

I just recently bought a 50x50 cubic tank and had to make 6 15L buckets of water to fill it plus another undergravel. I bought lime green gravel to make my axolotl stand out. He still seemed a little lost in a larger tank but he's perfectly ok. I had to pick him up in the water to put him in a bag, he doesn't seem to mind my hand (he's soft!!). The reason why I bought a large tank (it costs me 65 buxs and 89 cents!) is so he is cooler because my small tank heats up quick.

R

rheann

Vanessa, why did you buy gravel for your tank? I know you want your axolotl to stand out, but You also should know from visiting here since last January if you have been reading the threads and visited www.axolotls.org that Axoltols should not be kept in tanks with Gravel that this can cause serious health problems for them and causes them a great deal of discomfort when they ingest the gravel.

I suggest that you not use the gravel and either use a bare bottom or sand substrate. Feeding dishes with gravel doesn't mean your Axolotl isn't going to ingest gravel if you are using a feeding dish.

Also, are you letting your tank cycle before you put your Axolotl in it?

A

alex

hi, i have had gravel from the first day i got my axie and he hasnt swallowed a single peice of it! i just hand feed and make sure it all goes in his mouth and if any misses him ill pick it out. i think sand is the safer alternative but in my opinion i think gravels looks way better and i think the axies like it better bcoz its easier to grip onto when they do there slow motion walk!! but that just my opinion.
happy.gif

H

hayley-jane

I have sand in my tank and Elsa digs her feet into it when she walks.

I had pebbles before and she seems to like the sand better because it doesn't touch her belly when she walks.

Different axies I guess
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!