Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sucker fish

B

bookie

i know not to have mates in the tank. but i thought baby sucker fish wouldnt probly hurt since they only suck the tank. oh and i got a new tank. i put sand in it and got an internal filter with an air stone. all i have to do is cycle it. but when i put live plants in it. will that bother the cycle.

J

joão

The live plants will help the cycle cause they feed on nitrate, I don´t advise you to have any kind of fish in the same tank , but some people have with no problem, if you are looking for something that will clean your tank use fresh water snails,

R

rheann

I have two Otocinclus in my tank. They are small, will stay small and do an outstanding job of cleaning. I also keep my tank now about 70 degrees. hard to keep it cool in this Sacramento California weather lol. They are not shy or timid and not aggressive what so ever. They are a good tank mate as long as the water is not too cold for them. They do better in warmer water. I also have a peach colored Apple snail who is more of a foot ball to my Axolotls than a vacuum. What type of sucker fish are they Bookie? yes, Live plants will do nicely for your tank ^_^

A

aimee

Have your axies ever tried to eat your two cat fish, Rheann? lol and if they have, do they still try?
lol.gif

R

rheann

My wild type actually got one in his mouth once, but he wasn't able to swollow it becuase the Otocinclus have tiny hairy spines on them, so he pretty much got stuck in his mouth and thank goodness too becuase I love these little fish! They try alot to catch them, but these little fish are very, very fast and usually can detect the Axolotl before it attacks. Actually, these little fish are so friendly that when I clean the tank and i have to move them out, most of the time I just reach in and pick them up with my hands! They don't try to fight or flee, they sort of just vegg out on the plastic plants and I just reach in gently and pick them up with my fingers and put them in a container till the tank is clean. It's better for me to do it this way than to use a net because the net can damage them. They don't get more than 2 inches I think and they are constantly at work to keep the tank clean. I will never use any other cat fish to clean a fish tank ever again other than these little guys. They're great!

R

rita

I did have sucker fish in my tank. That was until Malcom decided to eat them.
sad.gif

B

bookie

i dont have any sucker fish. i just thought maybe i should get one to help keep the tank clean. i was plaining on just getting a regular one. mookie usually jus hangs out in the plants. i rarely see him on the bottom or the top. he just be in the plants hanging out.

R

rita

The sucker fish do clean the tank nicely. (Saves you having to do it!!)
biggrin.gif

C

cynthia

Bookie - do not buy a "chinese algae eater" those are the "regular sucker fish" they sell here. Chinese algae eaters will suck on your axolotl, they have been known to kill other fish by sucking.

Even fish that others here say they have had no problem with could be a problem eventually. Axolotls have a slime coat that a lot of fish would view as a nice meal.

I would advise no fish at all in an axolotls tank.

B

bookie

i never seen that kind before. i just seen the regular ones with the black and brown spots or what ever

A

aimee

Bookie, might the sucker catfish you are refering to be the pleco? If so, I do not think these are the chinese algae eaters that Cynthia is refering to since plecos originate in South America. (I could be wrong).

I don't know much about keeping algae eaters with axolotls, but a lot of people will tell you that its probably not a very good idea. Tho many people seem to have been able to keep plecos and axies together with no problems.

I guess it all really boils down to whether you think the benefits outweigh the possible risks. I've been told that the ridges on plecos will injure an axolotls mouth when your pet will attempt to eat it. And I haven't heard much concerning plecos, but like Cynthia pointed out, some species may find your axie appealing and leave lesions on your pet.

I too am considering putting an algae eater with my axolotl. However, with all the negative things I've heard about sticking axolotls and suckermouth catfish together, I'm having second thoughts.

Like I said, I don't know a whole lot about it. How big is your tank? Perhaps a somewhat large tank will allow more space for your sucker fish to hide from your axolotl? Hehehe wait and see what other people have to say
happy.gif

D

dev

plecos grow too big and poop a lot Ottos would be an okay choice they may or may not be eaten its all about luck sometimes in my opinion.

(Message edited by solaris on September 11, 2005)

R

rita

I didn't have any problems with my sucker fish sucking on my axies, but I got annoyed with having to buy new sucker fish all the time because they kept getting eaten. Now I have snails instead(the axies think that they're rocks!!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1