Little critters

L

leslie

Maybe it's a stupid question, but what the ---- are those little things i found in my aquarium swimming like if they were dancing..
errr.gif

and are they dangerous to my axies? i've put them in a drinking glass to make pictures of them, i don't think there are any left in my tank.

42336.jpg

42337.jpg

42338.jpg

I don't know what they are, but I don't think they are dangerous. I think they might be some sort of larva from an insect that flew over your tank and laid eggs. I would just put them outside and if you find more, just take those out too. I hope this helps
happy.gif
I have a lot of critters in my tank. I worried a lot about them and I had a bad, I mean really bad Hydra infestation, and I know that Snails shouldn't be normally kept with Axolotls, but the small snails in my tank eat the Hydra and keep the tank free of other critters, so I don't worry about the snails anymore. If I didn't have them in there, the critters would come back and once agian take over lol. I'll see if I can find out what those are in your tank while doing an online search.

i think they are Damselfly nymph's maybe anyone know's if i'm mistaking?

They eat: other insects and larger animals such as tadpoles, small fish

(Message edited by leslie_nl on August 26, 2005)

My husband (zoology degree!) thinks you might be right. It's definitely an insect nymph as it has 6 legs.

Laura

From http://www.state.ky.us/nrepc/water/damfly.htm
Damselfly nymphs (Order Odonata)
Key features:

- 6 legs
- 3 feathery tails
- size range: 1/4" - 3/4"

Damselfly nymphs are somewhat slender, with six legs and three feathery tail appendages which are flat or fan-like and usually oval in shape. These tails are readily visible if the organism is placed in water. Damselfly nymphs are most easily found around stream vegetation and calmer areas along the stream's edge.

That does sound like them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back