Moving an axolotl?

A

ashuri

Any tips on how to move (just across town) with an axolotl? I was thinking about putting him in a small container with a lid, just for the car trip, but I don't know what to do with the tank. I don't think I could get it down four flights of stairs intact.

I was thinking about getting a new, bigger tank and eventually adding a new axolotl ... would now be a good time or would a new tank plus a move be too stressful? He did survive getting shipped to my house in a box, though, so maybe he's tough ...

He won't know he's moved if the tank is the same inside, so that wouldn't be stressful. With a new tank, it would still be just one new thing--he's not aware of your house or address, after all. I'm curious why you are hesitant to just break the elements down and either upgrade or just redo it all when you get there? I tried about 5 different setups (I'm new to this too) including big stones, smaller stones, various caves, sand, etc., before landing on the current configuration, which is a combination of slate (edges smoothed with aquarium sealant) and bare bottom. It's super easy for me and they seem to love it. I plan to change little elements now and then--rock placement, hideaway, etc. because they are always interested. As soon as I mess with something, they are over there checking it out --and not in a stressed way either.

You can maintain your biological filter by keeping your substrate and filter parts immersed in either fresh treated water or water from your tank until you are ready to use it.

If you are adding an axolotl, it is an old fish trick to take out the current occupant and vary the tank arrangement so it is new to everyone--the old occupants and the new arrival--this avoids territoriality. I successfully added my 2nd axy this way. But--when I tried a third, they both bit it, so they let me know the limit.

Good luck!!

As for transport, I took mine homne from petstore in a 1 gal glass jar and wished I had used the plastic bag recommended by the pet store, because he sloshed and banged around pretty bad.

Hi

Dunno about the big tank but I recently took my axie on holiday to my caravan which is 2 hours away.

She was sick and I wanted her with me to give her salt baths etc.

I put her in a water tight food box with air at the top and positioned it in the footwell of the car.

I then put a towel over the top so it was nice and dark in there.

She was fine, no problems.

I've moved heaps of times with my axolotls. Even with a lid, be prepared to get wet. I usually have someone drive while I sit with the axies in a container on my lap, covered by a towel to keep it dark.

When I was transporting my baby axies around town to pet shops, I would put a little ice in the water to lower the temp as they would be sitting around for up to an hour while being driven and I didn't want them to overheat.

How big is the tank you need to move? I have moved a 4 ft tank down a (small) flight of steps with one person either end.

If you want to get a new tank that should be fine. Just add the filter media, substrate and objects from the old tank to the new one and keep a close eye on the ammo and nitrite levels.

I don't envy you - I hate moving house
violent.gif
. Although, come to think of it, I am now looking for somewhere else to live. Damn.

I moved all of my collection this weekend. It's best to move your tanks at the very last minute, and put the axolotls in the fridge the moment you arrive at the new place. This gives you a little time to set up the tanks, and get the water temperature adjusted and such.

I also have a 4 foot tank that was moved down 2 flights of stairs. Just empty it, and find some friends to haul it
happy.gif

I'm not moving again until I finish grad school. Moving's the worst experience ever.

Axolotls seem to travel well. Mine was completely fine on a 200 mile trip up the motorway inside an ice cream box on my lap. This was to move him from my parents' house to my new house - not a regular thing!

Laura

When we've needed to transport our axolotls, we've used a small plastic tank, with lid, and surrounded the tank with dark material - normally a bin bag. Try to drive carefully to avoid splashing the axolotl about, and you should be OK. Ours moved >400 miles in a Transit footwell with no ill-effects. The usual warnings re: temperature apply.

when i got my axies i put them in a bucket each and held the handle of the bucket and let the bucket move in the direction it wanted to go as the car moved. it seems to prevent the water moving as much and doesnt splash
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back